Meyer Lemon Tree attracting spiders

winstella(10b los angeles)March 25, 2014

My Meyer lemon tree is attracting a lot of things... Bees, butterflies, thrips (which I got rid of), hummingbirds, and now, most recently, I found a red spider about an inch large.

Do I leave it?? Or should it try to get rid if it immediately? I tried to google if spiders are beneficial for gardens but all I got was information about spider mites. It's definitely not a spider mite. I would say it sort of looks like a black widow. Same size and thickness, except that it is red. Are these poisonous?

Help, please! (Couple weeks ago I also found a regular spider like the ones you see in homes, I left it alone...)

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoovb zone 9 sunset 23

Spiders exist mostly to eat other spiders. Don't worry about it.

In Southern California in the dry season, it is helpful to get out there with a hose and spray off the foliage once or twice a month. It refreshes the tree.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 12:16AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

Spiders are part of what you'd normally expect to see in and around your citrus trees, winstella. Spiders are beneficials, and will eat flying insects and other bugs that happen by them or get caught in their webs, many of which may NOT be beneficial to your trees and plants (and other spiders, as hoovb has mentioned). Spider mites, are not spiders. They are mites, and they will usually show up in the late summer, during our hottest and driest times, and again, as hoovb has mentioned, a good spraying with water all over the canopy a couple of times usually takes care of things. I wouldn't expect to see them on my trees this time of year unless your yard is extremely dry, and your trees/plants are stressed. Have no idea if your spider is poisonous unless you can snap a pic of it, and our resident bug expert, Rhizo, can take a look at it.

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 9:25AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

If only we could distinguish the bad bugs from the good right?
But coming here is a great start since most are ok/..

This post was edited by meyermike_1micha on Tue, Mar 25, 14 at 13:36

Bookmark   March 25, 2014 at 12:14PM
figbear (8b coastal carolina)

I've been wondering the same thing. I'll leave this spider alone.
Here he is
http://i.imgur.com/tawkrH0.png

Bookmark   November 30, 2014 at 9:25PM
jrl1265(8b/6)

I like spiders on all my plants, even the ones in the house. :)

Bookmark   December 1, 2014 at 12:37AM
rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7

Lol, I wish that I had seen this earlier! A picture can solve the spider question immediately.

I live in the south, where there are many kinds and greater numbers of spiders inside and out all year long. The vast majority are not highly venomous or aggressive.

I've got black widows in my garage, my shed, my garden, and even in my home. I do everything I can to eliminate them, except for chemicals, but I am not alarmed by them.

On the other hand, I saw a rather large 'black racing spider', as I call them, running across the carpet TOWARDS MY CHAIR this morning and jumped up immediately to squash it.

As a rule, we should consider spiders as benign creatures, largely beneficial. Even though I am something of an arachniphobe, I think that spiders are fascinating and beautiful animals.

Bookmark   December 1, 2014 at 7:36AM
tim45z10

If I tried to remove all the spiders off of my citrus it would be a career. The spider waste will turn the leaves black. Dilute dish soap and spray. Then wash off.

Bookmark   December 2, 2014 at 1:55PM
More Discussions
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Kumquat :From seed to fruit in one year?
Someone tried to tell me that I can grow a kumquat...
italiangardner
Got a couple citrus and don't know what to do
So, I got a lemon tree and a lime tree as housewarming...
beesneeds
Wish me luck - transplanted a 6-7 year old Golden Nugget
Planted too close to a bearss, the lime was towering...
serge94501
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™