Witches broom on vitex

dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)May 7, 2011

I noticed one section effected last year on a mature vitex and this year, after heavily pruning that one and another 30 feet away it's greatly effecting the latter one.

The former is nicely leafed out.

This problem has delayed the sprouting out of leaves on all but one branch of the vitex that was not effected last year.

I know it's a fungus (at least I know now) and I probably spread it from one tree to another.

This one badly effected doesn't look like it's worth keeping and it's in full view through the window in the room we use daily for meals.

I hate to do it but I think I have to dig it up and toss it and the fungus out.

I have to prep and plant this bed to ready the house for sale so I don't have time to try and baby this tree back to health.

Anyone had experience with this witches broom fungus ?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nandina(8b)

Dottie, if you were not selling the house then the fairly new organic fungicide, Actinovate, sprayed monthly would control your fungus. Not to be. Remove the Vitex PDQ and figure out a creative replacement, taking advantage of spring planting conditions.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 4:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

thanks,nandina. This sickly vitex just won't leaf out except on the tip of one branch so even a monthly spraying probably is too late. Oddly, it had no problems all last year.
Time to get the shovel..so sad, it was a great bloomer and filtered light for the underplantings.

Bookmark   May 8, 2011 at 4:57PM
More Discussions
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
Symposium in Greensboro, NC
Guilford Horticultural Society has announced its 30th...
ncrescue
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
HollowOakFarm
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
Fruitmania GS 2015
If you will be in the Charleston SC area on January...
cactusrequiem
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™