Euphorbia lacta crest ( I think) care question.

Moosetrackz(9)July 2, 2012

I just got a Euphorbia lacta crest at the huntington show. If you saw my other post you've seen it before :) I was just wondering about its care. The ones I mostly see that other people have are grafted and tree-like but mine is on its own roots.

I also believe its varigated, some of the crest is a lighter green color.

I've heard that these plants grow very slowly on their own roots. Is this always the case?

I live in Southern California so its pretty hot out right now (85-90). Will it be ok outside? Right now I have it in a spot where its shaded by other plants for most of the day and gets some dappled direct sun for about 3-4 hours late in the day, around 4pm-7pm. Will this be fine or should I bring it inside?

I only have a west window available and it gets direct sun but only for 2 hours maybe in the evening and much shadier during the day than outside of course. I hear many people grow this plant indoors.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

Moose,
I have several of these and mine are grafted. I did start some on their own roots. I saw no difference. I have one that reverted back to standard form that looks like a E. latea White Ghost. I keep mine in 1/2 day full sun. I have heard they like shade. So keep from all day sun anyway.
I saw one growing in Clearwater Florida that was over 6 feet tall. Showed signs of reverting and back again. So a zone 10 would be ok but watch zone 9. You might have to cover it during some cold nights.

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 8:19AM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
denise_gw

I've had a few of these over the years and I don't think they grow particularly slow. But as heavy as they get as they do get big, I wouldn't encourage it to grow too fast! I love what beautiful works of art they can become. Just be sure to keep it protected from damage, like being blown over or hail. Scarring really deters from the beauty.

Denise in Omaha

Bookmark   July 3, 2012 at 10:45AM
More Discussions
Cactus ID?
Purchased this one without a tag. It's about 14"...
fireweed22
Jades - Too many for 1 pot?
I am going to repot my jade as soon as I get all the...
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
Crassula ovata rot?
Okay so I was given a large cutting last Thursday and...
Hamza Nobes
Aztcqn's Spiky & Fat Herd
I'm back with a renewed effort to make my yard a place...
aztcqn
A Nice Welcome Today
A little surprise in the mail today...
kaktuskris
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™