Pruning OLD Sweet Autumn Clematis now

stilldaddysgirlMarch 20, 2010

I just finished pruning my Sweet Autumn Clematis. Unfortunately, I did NOT aggressively prune for a few years - I just cut it back partially. It still bloomed nicely - but, it was bare towards the bottom.

I have pruned pretty hard this Spring - not realizing that I shouldn't have pruned past the last buds. I have two out of six canes that still have buds - the others do not. My canes are over an inch in diameter. Will they grow anything and produce flowers again?

Thanks in advance.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

You will most definitely see new vines emerge from the soil..this rejuvenation you did on your SAC will pay you back with a more robust and flowery shrub...don't worry...Jeanne

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 9:08AM
stilldaddysgirl

Thank you Jeanne from Texas! I was very worried that I may have damaged it beyond recovery - thank you for taking the time to reassure me :0) I will look forward to my blooms. It was my mother in laws plant, we moved it when she left the farm and came to live with us 7 years ago. It has done beautifully. My son also took a start and his is happily climbing around his hot tub enclosure.

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 11:03AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

You are so welcomed hon..please come on here and shout the glories of your pruning come this late summer/early fall when your SAC blows you away with her beauty!!..not to mention her intoxicating fragrance!!..Jeanne

Bookmark   March 22, 2010 at 6:15PM
auntlavender(Chicago/Zone5)

I did something similar last spring. A very old and well established sweet autumn. I cut it back HARD. Maybe leaving only 6-8 inches. It was very thick and trunk like. It had a spectacular year. It grew to it's pre-pruning height and flowered like never before. AND it was covered with flowers from top to bottom! I don't regret a thing!

Bookmark   April 15, 2010 at 7:24PM
More Discussions
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
Fragrant Oberon
I've become obsessed with the Fragrant Oberon clem,...
lisakaye551
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™