Perilla Magilla Invasive?

nberg7(z7NC)May 31, 2006

DH bought two one gallon pots of this for me on the Lowes clearance cart yesterday- how invasive is this plant if I sink them into the ground? Also- any info about propagating/overwintering would be very welcome too. TIA,

Nan

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
lynnencfan(7b/8aNC)

well lets see - it you DON'T dead head it - you will have literally thousands next year - good thing is they are easily pulled up where you don't want them. If you do dead head them completely you won't have any next year - the plant itself is an annual. I let a few go to seed each year and move them to where I want them - they transplant easily. I do like them in the garden - just not thousands like I had a couple of years ago :):)....

Lynne

Bookmark   May 31, 2006 at 9:02PM
nberg7(z7NC)

Thanks Lynne! I had read this is a member of the mint family, hence my apprehension. I do see them shooting up some stalks right now, so out with the clippers ala Edward Scissorshands.
-Nan

Bookmark   May 31, 2006 at 9:19PM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

You're kidding right?
My P/M never even flowered last year, grew to nearly 3'x3' and died rather ungracefully after the third frost same as all my coleus.
Invasive spread like mint? Thousands of seedlings?
I only wish it would. What am I doing wrong??

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 1:09AM
pfmastin(8 N. Carolina)

I might be mistaken, but isn't Perilla Magilla is a hybrid and will not reseed? Now..Perilla frutescens (the purple foliage one) is a different story. It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 7:16AM
brenda_near_eno(Z7a)

Yep, it's frutescens that reseeds, and it's spreading in my garden as well. I had to take cuttings and root to overwinter my magilla. Montrose is littered with volunteer frutescens and oriental poppies but it doesn't seem to get out of hand - I'm just going to let 'em spread. They're easy to pull where unwanted. Nice foliage scent too.

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 7:38AM
tamelask(z8a NC)

i've never heard of magilla spreading or reseeding either one, or even flowering. i overwinter it from cuttings. frutescens can easily get out of hand. i love it, so i always leave a little, but i have to weed out thousands of seedlings each year. i save a few just to use in arrangements- it's stunning with orange flowers, and a real winner with white fragrant nicotiana and some sweet potato 'marguarita' cuttings. sometimes it'll root in the vase, along with marguarita. makes a nice display for an outdoor table as long as you change the water every few days to prevent skeeters. tam

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 9:21AM
lynnencfan(7b/8aNC)

ooppps sorry guys/gals - thanks for chiming in and correcting me :) - I just saw the word perilla and thought immediatley of the one that looks like coleus. That is the one I have in my gardens. Guess I should bone up of cultivars a little more. I had no idea there were a couple of different cultivars - Didn't mean to lead anyone astray :).....

Lynne

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 9:43AM
granite(z6 NC)

I had to look up pictures of both...I have frutescens although the sites I visited said you could use it like basil but I don't think the scent or taste is any good.

I think the appearance of the Magilla is awesome and I may have to add a few of these somewhere. Just gorgeous!!

Here is a link that might be useful: Magilla Perilla

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 10:34PM
lynnencfan(7b/8aNC)

WOW Granite - thanks for that link - that is a gorgeous plant - not at all like mine which is a ruffely purple plant - pretty but not as pretty as that. Ya learn something new everyday :):).....

Lynne

Bookmark   June 1, 2006 at 11:42PM
nberg7(z7NC)

I think what I have is Perilla Magilla Vanilla- the green variety that looks like coleus. I'll try rooting it in water to save it for next year and not worry too much about it spreading like mint. My DH has been perusing the Lowes sales carts for me every time he shops there, and this was one of the bargains. My next question is can I overwinter Indigo Spires Salvia? Any experiences with it? DH bought 8 of these today in quart sized pots.
-Nan

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 12:05AM
shari1332(z7NC)

Nan, I lucked up and got a large pot of Indigo Spires at Lowes last year for 3.50. It had a May Night marker in it. I planted it in June I think and it overwintered this year but it was a mild winter. Just follow the general rules for salvias- good drainage and don't cut it back in winter.

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 6:54AM
nberg7(z7NC)

Thanks for that tip Shari! I was hoping I might be able to save them. DH bought 8 of them in quart pots for a dollar each. I absolutely love the bargains at this time of the year. :-)
Nan

Bookmark   June 2, 2006 at 3:00PM
More Discussions
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
Errosion on active creek
I need help saving the large trees on the banks of...
kellyinnc
Michelia figo
Is anyone in NC successfully growing Banana Shrub,...
transplanted2scin07
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™