Pruning Kleim's Hardy Gardenia

grassboroMay 30, 2011

I have a large Kleims Hardy Gardenia that has grown over the years to at least 5 & half feet wide and 3 & half feet tall. I made the mistake of never pruning it and now need to prune it back or move it. It has done very well where it is at so I would like to keep it there, but I am redoing the bed it is in and it will be too wide. Can I prune it back kind of hard? The height is not a problem, it is the width. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

I've never had a problem with giving them a trim this time of year. Your only issue may be that trimming may cause them to flush with new growth, which you will have to trim again.

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 1:19PM
jay_7bsc(8a)

The 'Kleim's Hardy' gardenia certainly has the fine fragrance of gardenia, but don't you think its flowers are pitifully ugly? I recommend that you pull the plant up and throw it onto the compost heap. Then, replace it with a 'Chuck Hayes' or 'August Beauty' gardenia that will reward you with both the pleasing perfume of this species as well as tradtional, beautiful double blossoms.

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 5:07PM
grassboro

That is true about trimming and stimulating new growth. What I may try is to totally remove some of the side branches. I will also have to think about moving this plant. Replacing with "Chuck Hayes" is also a good thought. Thanks for the feedback.

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 8:00PM
ncdirtdigger(7b)

I have been forced, due to heavy snow having bent them to the ground, to prune my klein's hardy gardenias by half on some years. Ideally I would suggest trimming 1/3 of the branches by as much as half or more each year (think of thinning it out) so that after three years you have a much smaller bush.
If you are actually considering replacing it, what do you have to lose by pruning it very hard and see what comes of it?

Bookmark   May 31, 2011 at 9:42PM
More Discussions
A New Year's Resolution
I resolve to co-exist with hairy bittercress. This...
dottie_in_charlotte
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
Indoor planting?
Hi, Did anyone start indoor vegetable seeds sowing?...
aaaaaaaa
Agave victoria-reginae hardiness
Hi, Has anyone successfully grown these outside in...
seedmoney
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™