Add orchid mix/sand to planting medium for plants in ground?

motifoneJune 26, 2013

Greetings everyone.

I'm located here in Southern California and have and planted several clivias in a shade garden about a year ago. Though a few have bloomed, I'm encountering a few problems:

⢠A couple rotted at the base and toppled over, died
⢠On a few plants, new emerging leaves will often have a brown, rotting lesion

I try not to water them too heavily or often because the area takes longer to dry out being in the shade. When I planted them, I removed all the native clay in the ground and replaced it with new soil, but perhaps that's just not well draining enough? I've read some folks add sand and.or orchid mix/bark to the mix.

I have one plant where I can see the roots separating (rotting off) from the crown, and I'm considering digging up the plant, washing the soil away from the roots, and replanting with a medium amended with orchid mix, sand, and some soil. Has anyone tried such a mixture with clivias in the ground?

Thanks for the input.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
teisa(6)

I hope someone with more knowledge responds soon. I have only grown Clivia for a little over a year. I use close to that mix, except no sand, and I add perilite. So mine is potting soil, orchid mix ( bark, charcoal), and perilite. This makes it fast draining and not withhold a lot of water. HTH

-TEISA

Bookmark   July 6, 2013 at 3:21AM
More Discussions
HELP! My clivia is dying!
I posted on Florida Gardening too, but wanted to post...
Kasima
Flowers clivia stuck in the middle
I have a problem. My clivia stopped in the middle of...
Lulu-dori
My Clivias
here are my clivias. clivia miniata - orange color clivia...
bunti
Is ID without flower possible?
I have this one section of my yard that has a bunch...
Sugi_C
Spots on yellow Clivia
Hello all back in need of more help, I noticed these...
anrev1719
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™