Growing Clematis in Dallas?

aggieroseMarch 26, 2011

Someone told me today that Clematis won't grow well in the Dallas, Tx area. I'm just curious if this is true.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alameda/zone 8

I live in east Texas - they grow great for me. Fireworks, The President and Mrs. Chomdoley are blooming now - more buds on others. Roots like shade, tops like sun - plant in good soil - I add a bit of lime from time to time, water when needed. I grow out the small bagged ones from Lowes and Walmart in gallon pots until they are older. Can plant annuals around the base of the plant to shade the roots. You should have the same success.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 3:17AM
shirley-z-8-tx

I live in Waco. This photo was taken yesterday. I have grown them in pots and in the ground for about three years now. This one always puts on a good show. I bought it at Lowes but have lost the tag.

Bookmark   March 27, 2011 at 7:18PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

There is a forum member who has dozens of Clematis in the Dallas area.

You don't have to shade the roots, just keep them moist. That tops in the sun, roots in the shade deal is a mistake of wording. They meant they need moist roots.

Bookmark   April 4, 2011 at 12:23PM
plantloverkat zone 9a north Houston(zone 9a)

When I lived in Dallas years ago, I had success growing both the sweet autumn clematis and Duchess of Albany in full sun. These were the only two I ever tried to grow there.

Now in Houston, I grow many more. I started with the viticella hybrids and have since branched out a little more. My top performers are Emilia Plater, Inspiration and Prince Charles - perhaps the fact that these are the oldest also contribute to them flowering the most.

Clematis Container Nursery has an article on growing clematis in hot climates written by a person who lives in Atlanta and gardens in red clay soil. I would think that Atlanta's climate and soil would be similar to Dallas (except that Dallas has Blackland Prairie clay soil instead of red clay). If you click on the link, the article is a little more than half way down the list of articles and is titled "Growing Clematis in Hot Climates".

Here is a link that might be useful: growing clematis in hot climates

Bookmark   April 7, 2011 at 4:10PM
cityaddict1

never tried before, but seems doable according to other posts.

shirley-z-8-tx, that's some good shots there.

:-O

-------------------------------------
Dallas Forum

Bookmark   December 15, 2011 at 4:49AM
sherryocala

As it happens, Brushwood Vines and Climbers is having a sale now (15% off) until 5pm Wednesday. Clematis viticella hybrids do well in hot areas. I bought 6 two years ago (total newbie) and they're all still alive!! And growing. I'm Zone 9a in hot and humid Florida.

Here's an article on Viticellas that gives a lot of names that you can look up.
http://www.howellsonclematis.co.uk/Pages/Gnews4.html

Here's Brushwood's link:
http://www.gardenvines.com/shop/

Sherry

Here is a link that might be useful: If only sweat were irrigation...

Bookmark   December 26, 2011 at 9:21PM
More Discussions
ianrtaylor
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
Plans for 2015
This forum has been quiet for so long... so maybe it'll...
Michaela .:. thegarden@902 .:. (Zone 5b - Iowa)
Montana grandiflora frost protection?
Greetings ... I recently moved from relatively frost...
rovenorth
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™