Snails? A problem with clivia?

teisa(6)July 12, 2013

I was graciously gifted a few wonderful younger Clivias. I have them under my covered porch where they are getting indirect sun. All are doing good, except I've noticed one had traces of snail/slug slime on the plant and 1/2 of one leaf was destroyed. Is slugs a problem for young leaves? And anyone have a remedy for them?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
monet_g

Hi Teisa,
For sure slugs/snails will go for Clivia. I keep my plants up off the ground for that very reason.

I went over to the Hosta forum and they recommend one part vinegar (or ammonia) to ten of water as a soil drench. I haven't tried it, but figured if anyone knew how to control slugs it would be the Hosta fanatics. ;-)

Good luck!
Gail

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 8:42AM
teisa(6)

Ok thank you Gail. They don't seem to like to munch on my older Clivia. But I had one of the younger ones have one leaf demolished! :(. They must enjoy the young tender leaves!

I had read about the ammonia in a squirt bottle and beer as bait! Mine were sitting on a back porch! I've just got a new table (yay) for Dad. But I've got to get stain on it this weekend! This will too surely help.

Thanks for your help. Hope all is well in Michigan!

-Teisa

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 10:29AM
Anton_1

If you make coffee with coffee beans don't throw the grinded coffee a way after you have made coffee. Throw it around your clivias.on the ground. There is still some caffeine in the used coffee. Caffeine and snails does not go well together.

Bookmark   July 17, 2013 at 3:07PM
More Discussions
Jack's Fertilizer 20-20-20 dosing
Hello, I would like to use this fertilizer but am not...
ValerieO77
My Clivias
here are my clivias. clivia miniata - orange color clivia...
bunti
Care of young clivia
I recently purchased a Clivia Good Hope in a 4"...
lizkuntne
Clivia flower bud stuck!
Hello Everyone, It was 2 weeks ago I saw an orange...
qhslau
Should I divide this clivia
So this is my first clivia that I have. It's supposed...
SteveCorredor
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™