Clivia not growing?

peaches20(6 PA)July 24, 2008

Hi All,

I'm new to clivias. I got some seeds in a trade and started them a couple of months ago. They seem to not be growing.

I have them in regular miracle grow potting soil. Should I be adding fertilizer? I have osmocote slow release and bone meal. Here are some pics of the two:

Thanks

Peaches

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
craigr2006

Hi Peaches,

Hard to tell what is going on. The leaves look great. Is the soil too moist or too dry? Maybe a light spritz of foiliar spray with some dilute fertilizer will help. Also keep the soil lightly damp, and make sure they are kept around 70-80 degrees F at this stage.

Good luck,
Craig

Bookmark   July 25, 2008 at 4:54PM
memder(GHZ6)

Hi Peaches:

The first possibility is that this is way clivia grows. New clivia grows very slowly. For the first year, usually, it will have only two leaves.

The second possibility is that the temperature is too high for germination. In that situation, although the seed germinated quicker than usual, but that is a false germination and won't have true leaves come out.

I would suggest just hanging on there and wait to see.

Bookmark   August 23, 2008 at 2:32PM
peaches20(6 PA)

Thanks for the information on the clivias. Unfortunately :(, I had them out on the back porch and either a chipmunk and/or squirrel got in the pots and destroyed both plants. The one looks like it still has roots but the other one doesn't. Both little stubs that are left have turned brown. I'm hoping that they will come back but so far nothing but I will keep the pots for a while longer.

Peaches

Bookmark   August 23, 2008 at 4:38PM
More Discussions
clivias in trouble!
When we moved into our house about 5 years ago, the...
pol123
Overgrown clivia bed
The clivia bed has become an overgrown mess, many years...
socks
Disease or stress?
This is a clivia about 10-15 years old and it has started...
hudakore
Spots on yellow Clivia
Hello all back in need of more help, I noticed these...
anrev1719
how old is this clivia?
Hello! I recently found out about these awesome plants...
jeffatlanta (7b, Atlanta, GA)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™