Plant ID- plant swap mystery

dogridge(7b nc)May 22, 2010

the plant I brought labeled ?violet has bloomed. it is really pretty bell shaped pink flower.

the foliage is serrated, about 30" tall in part shade.

The bells are about 2" long.

Any ideas what it is?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tamelask(z8a NC)

I 'll bet it came second hand from me. It's campanula punctacta 'cherry bells'; great plant- but do be careful where you put it b/c it spreads pretty well. I have it in several areas, and have brought it to the swap several times. the person probably thought it was a violet b/c of the foliage. In shade it won't bloom as well but the foliage is semi-evergreen and pretty (and does look a lot like violets).

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 9:41PM
jdbheartsease

I'm not sure, but I think it's some type of campanula. I have a plant that is similar except the flower is white with burgundy specks inside the bell. Nice plant!!

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 9:44PM
dogridge(7b nc)

tamelask-

I bet is was from you. i got it last yr. I brought more to the swap this yr, but it had never bloomed, so I wasn't sure what it was. Whoever got the pots I brought this yr, now you know what it is.

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 9:49PM
dogridge(7b nc)

One more question-

Will it tolerate full sun?

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 9:51PM
tamelask(z8a NC)

Yep, or close to it anyhow. I don't have much full full sun. Do a Google, but pretty sure it will. It does have wine speckles inside. If it's white with wine speckles, it could be c. takesimana, another one that i have and have brought to the swaps. I also have what i believe is a cross of the 2. It flowers pink, but has foliage a bit more like takesimana (shiny) than punctata (slightly hairy). It could be straight punctata, though. You only see the hairiness when it's dry. I think i have more of the cross than anything anymore.

Bookmark   May 22, 2010 at 11:31PM
More Discussions
Michelia figo
Is anyone in NC successfully growing Banana Shrub,...
transplanted2scin07
Raleigh Spring Swap details posted
I've posted the details of the Raleigh Spring Swap...
trianglejohn
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
Agapanthus in the Triad Area?
Has anyone had any success growing Agapanthus in the...
GreenfingerGene
Rain barrels and soaker hoses
Here I am a aqain and gonna pester y'all one more time....
jimtnc
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™