Clemantis won't bloom

aorti2(z8 TX)April 21, 2007

I purchased a Clemantis about 4 years ago and to date it still has not bloomed. Can anyone tell me why? What could I possibly be doing wrong? I don't remember what kind it is but each year it is full of leaves but simply won't bloom. What can I do to make it produce flowers?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Have you fertilized it with either Rose or Tomato Fertilizer?..If you are using a High Nitrogen fertilizer then all you'll get is green leaves..do you know the name...Jeanne

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 7:41AM
aorti2(z8 TX)

I'm looking for the name of it. I ordered it a few years ago and I'm sure I still have the order form. I keep everything, lol. I only give it miracle gro because I was uncertain of what to fertilize it with. But I do have both rose and tomato fertilizer and will fertilize it today. Once I find the name I'll let you know. Thanks for your reply.

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 9:23AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

You are welcomed..bad thing about Miracle Grow..is if you don't look on the N-P-K ratio most of the time you have a Miracle grow that is high in nitrogen...Jeanne

Bookmark   April 21, 2007 at 2:24PM
aorti2(z8 TX)

I found the name...it's a Jackmanii. Does that help?

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 8:35AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Are you Hard Pruning him each late winter/early Spring which is Valentine's Day for us in our zone..he blooms on new vines...Mine is just now full of buds and starting to open now..Jeanne

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 9:44AM
merandy19

One thing to remember about clematis: Feet in the shade and head in the sun. Meaning their roots like to be cool, with underplantings of shallow rooted groundcovers or mulch. May sure their tops get sun. Sometimes a plant that doesnt get enough sun wont bloom.

Bookmark   April 22, 2007 at 11:19AM
aorti2(z8 TX)

I did not know to prune it, but now that I know I will prune it in the fall. I have learned a lot from reading these posts so hopefully next year I'll have blooms. Thanks for all of your help.

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 7:09PM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Pruning encourages new growth which will bloom and you want it to be encouraged in spring not fall.

Bookmark   April 25, 2007 at 7:53PM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Aorti..don't wait till this fall to prune..get out there now and prune it and fertilize and you'll have blooms...we always prune and fertilize our clematis around Valentines day..and since we have a longer growing season...we can reprune after the first bloom cycle is over and refertilize and get another bloom cycle...your "Jackmanii" will love you for it....Jeanne

Bookmark   April 26, 2007 at 9:33AM
aorti2(z8 TX)

Thanks for the advice. I'll do so today. I'm so excited and can't wait to see what happens. Will keep you informed.

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 7:44AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

Please do hon, I wanna see blooms on your "Jackmanii" this year!!!!!!!!! Woohooooooooo...Jeanne

Bookmark   April 27, 2007 at 9:09AM
thepitclub

My clematis was planted about 7 years ago (a tiny, scraggly plant purchased on clearance, lol). The first year it was totally destroyed/eaten by a dog, but I was suprised to see it reappear the following year. Since then I have called myself "babying" it, because it seemed to have such a will to survive. The poor thing has never bloomed, but the last couple of years the vines have grown very well, climbing all over the the trellis I put up for it. It is planted in full sun, with well drained, rich soil. The roots are protected, with smaller plants growing around it (Frog's Tongue and such). There is a rose bush beside it that has been fetilized regularly, so I could only assume the Clematis would be benefiting from it as well. It appears the conditions mentioned thus far have been met, so now I'm more baffled than ever. I have no idea what variety it is, but the vines die completely in the winter, and it sprouts back from the root base. I do prune away the dead vines/stems in the spring. Any more ideas?? Help!

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 8:26AM
eden_in_me(5a Maine)

Could roots from the rose be too much competition? I had similar conditions with a Polish Spirit that I put too close to an old huge Lilac clump. Last Fall I dug it up & put it in a huge tub in the same spot, with plenty of compost/leaf mold, bone meal, dried cow manure and garden soil.
A Marie Boisselot is planted 3 feet further from the roots, and flowered from the git go, but was a bigger plant to start with.

Possibly moving the clem further away and ammending the new planting hole will help. The clem can be trained to scramble into the rose, if that is the effect you want.

Marie

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 10:16AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I have Clems basically in the same hole with each other and with roses.

I suggest you fertilize the Clematis with a high Phosphorus fertilizer and pinch back the tips of the growing stems to encourage branching.

Don't rely on the rose's fertilizer reaching the Clematis.

Bookmark   May 6, 2007 at 10:47AM
thepitclub

Thanks for the ideas! I don't think it is competing with the rose for root space, as the rose was only planted a couple years ago and is not very large yet. I will try the phosphorus fertilizer and stem pinching to see if it helps. I purchased another Clematis plant yesterday (a big healthy one this time) and planted next to it. I guess this will tell me if it's something I'm doing wrong, if the new one acts the same. Thanks again~~~

Bookmark   May 7, 2007 at 7:23AM
More Discussions
Anyone Heard of Summerstone Nursery?
I found this site accidentally - they have about 25...
alameda/zone 8
When should my Josephine start coming up?
I planted Josephine last spring, she never got very...
mzstitch
clematis paired with climbing rose
I've ordered 12 Madame Carriere climbing bareroot roses...
CarlaCP
Need 2 clematis that go well together
Hello. I am putting in a new trellis that gets full...
suz9601
relocating a clematis
my grandpa wants to get rid of a "weed" which...
Desirai
Sponsored Products
Blooming Prairie Cotton Quilted Pillow Shams (Set of 2)
Overstock.com
Orchid Bloom Plaid Chenille Throw
$19.99 | zulily
Green Garden
$21.99 | Dot & Bo
Metropolis Atwood 8-piece Comforter Set
Overstock.com
Birds with Blooms Cream and Chocolate Brown Six Piece Queen Duvet Set
$399.00 | Bellacor
Ranunculus Floral Arrangement with Glass Vase
$449.00 | FRONTGATE
Thermocast Bathroom Sea Palm Drop-in Bathroom Sink in Desert Bloom Pink 81061