Growing potatoes in a trash container

icupicnMay 5, 2008

Does anyone have any experience growing potatoes in a trash bin? I found an article and it looks really neat...and easy. Just wondering if anyone has any experience with this?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

I remember helping my father years ago do this. He did the one where you slowly fill the barrel with straw so that after the barrel is filled to the top you have a ton of tater's with virtually no cleaning necessary.

It takes a lot of water (remember we are supposed to have a drought this summer) to grow container potatoes.

The trashcan needs to be kept somewhat cool otherwise the tubers towards the edges tend to rot (remember we are supposed to have record breaking heat this summer). Potatoes need full sun to do well.

This technique does work but it isn't necessarily easier than regular garden soil growing - maybe for some people in certain areas but not for everyone.

Another way to accomplish this is to raise them in used car/truck tires. You start with the first tire and as the plant grows you stack more and more tires on top and fill with straw or mulch or soil. By the end of the year you undo to the whole stack and harvest. Easier than getting a lot of light down into the bottom of a trashcan.

Bookmark   May 6, 2008 at 9:49AM
More Discussions
Symposium in Greensboro, NC
Guilford Horticultural Society has announced its 30th...
ncrescue
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Agave victoria-reginae hardiness
Hi, Has anyone successfully grown these outside in...
seedmoney
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™