Propagating Thanksgiving cactus

CactusBoss(Zone 5a)July 27, 2013

I notice how every website says to take at least three segments. This was after I planted several single segment cuttings in a pot. Will they not root If I only took single segments or does it not matter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA(7a Northern VA)

I have had single segments root for me. I think the multiple segments recomendation is to allow more points for roots to grow. More roots gives the cutting a better chance of success.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 8:16PM
CactusBoss(Zone 5a)

How exactly do you root them?

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 8:35PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

The reason they say 3 is because one segment alone may not root, you have a much better chance w/3.

This is a good time to root them. Take some damp, not wet, soil high in organic matter. For rooting purposes you can actually use leaves from your other plants. Aglaonemas and other leafy tropicals work well for me, but I have used birch leaves mixed with maples and other native hardwoods. Avoid oak and walnut. It works best if I stand them vertically along the sides of the pot with the pot on one side and the dirt/leaves on the other.

I put the segments barely under the material, cover it lightly and place it in a well lit, warm location. Kept warm and damp, and at this time of year, roots form in about 2-3 weeks. There are many other ways I'm sure. This is my intentional method.

The most common method here is for a segment to fall undetected between the pots. By the time I find it, there are small roots coming between the segments. Summers in S. Penn. must be somewhat like the habitat they come from.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Finally not ashamed of this end of the garden.
So this is one of the projects I made a year ago and...
dephora
Jades Surviving, but not Thriving
Hello! New here, but I've been lurking for the last...
andelice
Large Jade Whack and Repot
Hello GW, I got this plant a few days ago, and have...
americangolden
Waves and Ripples: A Study in Contrast
My Waves and Ripple Jades side by side... Christopher...
kaktuskris
Sponsored Products
Moooi | Elements 003
$916.00 | YLighting
Cactus Reflections Beige Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Hang Pot - Turquoise - Wallter
$125.00 | HORNE
Ieesha White 18 x 18 Animal Print Throw Pillow
$57.95 | Bellacor
Cactus! Paper Napkin Holder by Alessi
$125.00 | Lumens
Alamo Saddlery Turquoise Gator Headstall - 2071-JGT
$68.00 | Hayneedle
RenWil Nymphaea I Wall art
Beyond Stores
Outdoor Lighting. Leonidas 1-Light 7.5 in. Paintable Ceramic Bisque Cactus Cylin
$98.80 | Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™