Propagating Thanksgiving cactus

CactusBoss(Zone 5a)July 27, 2013

I notice how every website says to take at least three segments. This was after I planted several single segment cuttings in a pot. Will they not root If I only took single segments or does it not matter?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nightbloomincereus 7A noVA(7a Northern VA)

I have had single segments root for me. I think the multiple segments recomendation is to allow more points for roots to grow. More roots gives the cutting a better chance of success.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 8:16PM
CactusBoss(Zone 5a)

How exactly do you root them?

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 8:35PM
Dzitmoidonc(6)

The reason they say 3 is because one segment alone may not root, you have a much better chance w/3.

This is a good time to root them. Take some damp, not wet, soil high in organic matter. For rooting purposes you can actually use leaves from your other plants. Aglaonemas and other leafy tropicals work well for me, but I have used birch leaves mixed with maples and other native hardwoods. Avoid oak and walnut. It works best if I stand them vertically along the sides of the pot with the pot on one side and the dirt/leaves on the other.

I put the segments barely under the material, cover it lightly and place it in a well lit, warm location. Kept warm and damp, and at this time of year, roots form in about 2-3 weeks. There are many other ways I'm sure. This is my intentional method.

The most common method here is for a segment to fall undetected between the pots. By the time I find it, there are small roots coming between the segments. Summers in S. Penn. must be somewhat like the habitat they come from.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 11:14AM
More Discussions
What is this? It says "Mammillaria species"
I know, "Mammillaria species" narrows it...
plantomaniac08
Can you please name this succulent (Qatar)
This was growing along with cactus it has red ripe...
maufie123
ID this succulent now that it's beginning to flower?
no one was able to ID this guy before, but now that...
kwie2011
Kalanchoes outdoors in southern California
the following are some photos of some of the less common...
palmbob
Aeonium hybrids from Southern California
these always look great this time of year (their 'happy...
palmbob
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™