Epi Bloom

aezarien(7b)May 5, 2011

Anybody have any clue which variety this is? I know there is a forum for it but seen that there were a few epiphiles on here too.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
aezarien(7b)

Drop

Bookmark   May 15, 2011 at 4:28PM
jdbheartsease

WOW - That's beautiful! I don't know the variety. How did you get it to bloom? I've had an epi for 3 years now that I got at the swap. I haven't seen a bloom yet - just growth. Is there a trick to getting these these things to bloom? Mine was inside my house all winter long and recently I put it on my front porch. Waiting for a bloom. . .

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 12:37PM
jilliebean9700(7a)

lovely

Bookmark   May 16, 2011 at 1:49PM
aezarien(7b)

Thank you both. As far as how to get them to bloom. I haven't the foggiest. I can tell you the conditions they were under but as to if that is the right thing to do I don't know. I do know that some varieties have to reach a level of maturity before they bloom and outside of my strictum, none of the others (out of over a dozen varieties) have bloomed before this year. Now I am seeing them bloom one after another. I think I have seven, including the strictum that have bloomed or are about to bloom.

First, I did have them in a heated greenhouse all winter. My aim was mostly to keep them over freezing, not to give them warmer growing conditions. I did not water them much but every time I did water them, I did with the addition of miracle grow until it got warm then I quit feeding them. I have also left them in the greenhouse (which it is VERY hot in there now) even after it got warm. Usually I move them directly outside as soon as it gets warm enough for them to stay out there and I haven't fed them through the winter, only in the Fall. Like I said though.. Not sure what combination of that actually made them bloom.

Bookmark   May 18, 2011 at 4:34PM
jdbheartsease

Thanks for the info and for sharing your photos. I'm not sure what I'm doing for these epis is right. I got 3 or 4 small epi a couple of years ago at one of the swaps (G-boro-H.P., I think). I put all of them in the same big hanging container. They've grown to be about 16" - 20" in length. But no blooms. In the Spring or when temp get warmer I take them outside and bring them inside the house when the temperatures get cooler. But still no blooms. I think this is the 3rd Spring that I've had them. Any suggestions on how to get them to bloom?

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 9:02AM
aezarien(7b)

Not really. I don't know what combination of things made them bloom. I know they grow in the crotches of trees so their natural habitat is in filtered sun and they don't require a lot of water. Mine are really pot-bound too. Seems the more I neglect them, the better they do. I'm not using any special fertilizers either, just miracle grow.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 10:01AM
jdbheartsease

Ok - thanks for the info. I'm going to try some Miracle Grow on them and see what happens.

Bookmark   May 20, 2011 at 1:14PM
More Discussions
Greenville South Carolina Plant Swap
Greenville Glen will be hosting a Spring Plant Swap...
tbug
onions from seed; one more try
I've struggled to grow onions from seed and have tried...
thomis
Harvesting Japanese Persimmons
My 5-year old Fuyu persimmon tree has fruit on it for...
Ralph Whisnant
Heirloom Seeds
Greetings! I've been away for a while. Puzzled by...
columbiasc
Callistemon citrinus & Cordyline australis --Winter hardy plants?
Hello, Has anyone had experience in keeping these plants...
gardening_in_nc
Sponsored Products
Metal Chalkboard Pot Wall Garden
$19.99 | zulily
Love of Lilac 3-piece Quilt Set and Optional Sham Separates
Overstock.com
Elegant Flowers Tiffany Art Floor Lamp
ParrotUncle
In Bloom Vases
$29.99 | Dot & Bo
Dramatic Bloom Giclee - MULTI COLORS
$165.00 | Horchow
Kraus C-KCV-122-15000 White Rectangular Ceramic Sink and Ventus Faucet - C-KCV-1
$259.95 | Hayneedle
Bloom Black 120 to 170 Inch Curtain Rod
$77.95 | Bellacor
Nourison Area Rug: In Bloom Chocolate 8' x 11'
Home Depot
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™