What is it and is it salvageable?

Sara GallupJuly 21, 2012

I recently inherited an overgrown & neglected succulent / cactus garden with my new house. Found this guy after clearing out a large section of aloe and/or agave that was past the point of no return. I am a former apt dweller and am new to this whole gardening thing (but loving it so far), so any help and/or advice would be awesome:)Thanks in advance!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Microthrix(9)

It is an epiphytic cactus, which means it grows up in the trees of jungles ... which also means it can handle a bunch more water, but no cold at all

Looks like an epiphyllum ... you could dig it up and put it in a hanging pot, and with lots of love and care, it will cascade down the pot and maybe some day give you a beautiful flower.

Im wondering what the spot on it are ... is it burn, or some bug? Hopefully someone comes and tells

Bookmark   July 21, 2012 at 8:05PM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

Is that in the ground? I would dig it up. Wash off the roots and plant it in a very airy well draining mix like small orchid bark or long strand spagnum.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 1:47AM
Sara Gallup

Yes it's in the ground. Would "cactus" mix work? And is it a full sun type? Thanks!

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 10:39AM
hanzrobo(11)

If you can salvage it, the plant will do best in mostly shade, outside in a hanging pot like Micro said. Epiphytic cacti can take a thicker soil mix that retains moisture longer than the gritty stuff we like to make around here. So yes, a bagged cactus mix will do just fine.

It looks a little burnt but not beyond saving. Don't count on the existing leaves getting any better or growing. Once re-established, it will send up brand-new growth from below.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 11:26AM
hanzrobo(11)

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 12:00PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

Some types of epi will take a tad of cold and others are really alergic to it. E. oxypetalum is a bit better about getting to 32F but others don't want to be close to it. They will grow back from their roots but will be weak for a season or 2 while they get back on their feet.. I am always testing cold tolerance because of where I live, my inherent laziness, and miles thick sense of denial.

Some say that these plants love good leaf much also. Many will use African violet soil.

Some of these plants get LARGE.

Bookmark   July 22, 2012 at 2:11PM
More Discussions
Need help IDing a hawthoria.
Any ideas? A penny used as a scale marker. Grantgarden2...
Grantgarden2 Zone 5a/b
Help new cacti ID and everything is dying :/
Ok a bit dramatic but here's my new cacti Close ups If...
birdgerhl
New Additions from the Philadelphia Flower Show
This is what I acquired on Saturday at the Flower Show....
ehuns27 7a PA
Crassula ovata rot?
Okay so I was given a large cutting last Thursday and...
Hamza Nobes
Jades - Too many for 1 pot?
I am going to repot my jade as soon as I get all the...
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™