shipping clivia

marricgardensOctober 4, 2012

A friend of mine wants me to send her one of my clivia, she lives across the country so I only see her every 2 years. I was wondering how much of the clivia I can trim? I was thinking if I could trim some of it it wouldn't cost me as much. My plants are all 6-8 leaves. I did trim some of the roots but not the leaves, can I trim any of the leaves? I do have a few 'pups' but they are only about 2". Any advice? Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Ohiofem(6a Ohio)

I have shipped fairly large clivias, with 16-20 leaves 18 inches long and lots of roots in priority mail boxes, which come in a wide variety of shapes and sizes. If you ask your post office, you might find one that's just right. You want to carefully bare root the plant and wrap it in newspaper so it's in a cylinder shape. I would be reluctant to remove or cut healthy roots because they are so necessary for the plant's survival. You can pull off a few of the outer leaves, but if you chop off the tips, it will take a long timefor the plant to get its shape back. Instead, I wrap the tip of each of the longer leaves in a piece of newspaper and gently fold it down.

Bookmark   October 7, 2012 at 5:35PM
More Discussions
My Clivias
here are my clivias. clivia miniata - orange color clivia...
bunti
Old Clivias never do anything!
I live in S. Louisiana just north of New Orleans, zone...
jockewing
Flowers clivia stuck in the middle
I have a problem. My clivia stopped in the middle of...
Lulu-dori
Disease or stress?
This is a clivia about 10-15 years old and it has started...
hudakore
Berries that stay green?
In the years that I had no inclination to germinate...
Ddruck
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™