Day Trip to Donahue's

mnwsgal 4 MN(4)April 27, 2010

This weekend DH and I took our annual day trip to Fairbault, MN (appr. 1.5 hours) for Donahue's spring open house. Came back with 5 gallon-sized clematis: Bourbon, Henryi, Kingfisher, Natascha and Rogucchii and 1 two gallon sized: Cassis.

I planned to only pick up two but DH was an enabler pointing out this blossom or that blossom. The blossoms on Sugar Candy are huge! Wish I had also picked up Filigree.

I was told they are discontinuing Alabast and Artic Queen because they are such slow growers, didn't even have any 4in. pots of those.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alina_1

Arctic Queen is a slow grower????
It is one of the most vigorous Clematis I have (see the 'Who Is Your Fastest Starter?' thread). Fantastic grower for me. I even bought another one (also Donahue's, but a baby). This second one grows much better than other double Clematis planted next to it: Franziska Marie and Josephine.

Congratulation on your purchases! I always had a success with Donahue's Clemmies.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 10:21AM
jeanne_texas(Z 8B TX)

I am just pea-green with envy..congrats..happy Planting...Jeanne

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 7:29PM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

alina, glad Artic Queen does well for you. I have had one for years that barely grows. I see it is peeking out again this spring. Moved it a couple of years ago so don't want to move it again, yet.

The comment was along the lines that it doesn't grow much, just sits there and that has also been my experience.

What zone are you in and where do you have Artic Queen located? Any suggestions to get this gal growing are welcome. I haven't done the alfalfa tea and will try that.

Thanks, Jeanne. Even if I didn't buy any (like that would happen, LOL) it is fun to see so many varieties in bloom.

Bookmark   April 27, 2010 at 10:19PM
alina_1

I have not done anything special to her. The first AQ was bought in 2006 - one of my first five Clematis. I bought it from Bluestone Perennials on 50% off sale, so it costed less than $5 and it was in 2" tiny Donahue pot. This photo was taken about 3 months later:

We moved to a new house soon after this. She was potted in 1 Gallon pot for a couple of years. About two years ago I planted it in the garden. You can see that it was not an easy life for this poor Clemmie... This spring it completely covered Azalea shrub. Numerous buds. I can't wait to see her blooming.

I am in zone 6/7, MD.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 12:57AM
mnwsgal 4 MN(4)

Ah, she is beautiful. Now I remember why I wanted her.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 3:52AM
janetpetiole(4b)

I have Arctic Queen. It gets 4-5 feet tall, has lots of shoots, but the blooms are sparse and usually odd looking.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 11:09AM
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

Mine is too young to really judge how vigorous she is but her first blooms are really odd this year. Not blooming yet but the buds look bizarre.

Bookmark   April 28, 2010 at 11:28AM
dublinbay z6 (KS)

My two Arctic Queens are entering their second season now and are so covered in buds that I can hardly wait to see the bloom.

Last year, one AC was a willing grower/bloomer, but the other one acted like it could barely survive. That was strange since they are planted in the same place--one on either side of an arbor.

This year, both are growing great, although the first AC (which grew so well last year) is about twice as far along as the little wimpy one that almost didn't survive. I strongly recommend Arctic Queen, but obviously, like most clems, some plants may be more vigorous than others, at least for the first couple years.

Kate

Bookmark   April 30, 2010 at 3:53PM
More Discussions
Snowy winter and first-time clematis - advice please
Last fall I planted my first clematis and we've been...
vesfl
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
What plants do you use to help shade clematis roots?
I'm just curious to know what are the names of some...
gardenbug
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
transplanting ?
My friend is getting rid of (throwing away) a clem...
sorie6
Sponsored Products
At Home Designs Belmont Transitional Recliner in Mocha
Beyond Stores
King 300TC Flat Sheet - BLUE
$209.90 | Horchow
Cassara Outdoor Sofa with Cushions, Patio Furniture
FRONTGATE
Hansgrohe - Metris 3 Hole Roman Tub Set Full - 31436001 - Chrome
$292.50 | PlumbTile
Hold All Path & Landscape Lights Outdoor LED Solar Butterfly 3 in 1 Path Light
$23.34 | Home Depot