How do I take these out of here?

PhytoRoJuly 9, 2013

I got this beautiful pot as a gift, but I guess with time I will have to take these plants out of the pot and into some fresh soil and better growing conditions. The problem is that they are underneath a glued layer of tiny stones. How can I do to take them out of here? Any ideas?
Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CactusN00b(9)

I have had luck with this by setting the pot out in the sun and letting it get warm ( obviously transition it into full sun if its not already in it ) and peeling chunks of the rocks out with my fingers. sometimes I have needed to carefully use a small screwdriver to pry up a section of stones, ... but you need to be careful if you do that as you could damage roots. once you get a small section peeled out, you should be able to do the rest with you're fingers.

definitely replace the mix. I have yet to see one of these "pre-fab" pots come with the proper soil for succulents.

the ONLY succulent i have gotten root rot with was in one of these "pre-fabs" and i didn't realize they were in inappropriate soil at the time.

Make sure your pot has drain holes too. I seen many that don't have them..

hope that helps

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 8:19PM
kaktuskris

Very carefully...

Actually this is quite a common practice today, for convenience in shipping, so the rocks don't fall out. Very inconvenient for the consumer, however. I might wet the rocks to see if that helps unglue them, otherwise it is a matter of chipping away a few at a time, trying not to damage the roots. Or maybe soak in a bucket of water up to the roots, to loosen the rocks enough to remove the plants. Good luck!

Christopher

Bookmark   July 9, 2013 at 8:27PM
lme5573

I had success with a spray bottle and a chopstick. Spray a section lightly with water, let sit for just a few minutes. Use a chopstick (or any pointy thing) to pry up the section of rocks as the glue softens.
Patience is the key.
Lennie

Bookmark   July 10, 2013 at 6:06AM
More Discussions
Jades on Sunday Morning
For me, one of the joys of Sunday is being able to...
kaktuskris
Al's Gritty Mix
Need help finding Bark Fines and Gritty Mix in Greenville,...
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
February blooms (2015)
After so many beautiful photos posted in January -...
rina_
Jade prune going back farther than expected? Normal???
Hey, This Jade has been through a lot and I've posted...
deva33 Z5 SE Iowa
Roots growing out of echeveria stem
I have a bunch of struggling succulents... In a move,...
fergline
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™