propagating, I have roots, now what?

mrslenne(9 PHX, AZ)July 13, 2013

all these are inside on a north facing window seal, I lightly mist them daily and have some roots coming out. some are stems, some are leaves and some of the leaves have babies already. what do I do now?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
alkh86(9)

I usually put mine in a well draining mix, make sure the roots are covered and continue to mist (well... here in FL I leave them on my screened porch and let all this lovely rain mist them for me) then, just wait....

Bookmark   July 13, 2013 at 9:41PM
FluffyClou

Is it okay to mist cuttings even though they haven't root yet? If yes, how often?

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 11:10PM
dorianscale3(6)

You do not want to mist cuttings without roots as it will just promote rot. Keep cuttings dry (leaves and soil) as they take root and then begin a misting schedule of 2-3 times per week to encourage growth. Best of luck!

Bookmark   July 19, 2013 at 11:43PM
cactusmcharris

DS,

Not true whatsoever, friend. That's exactly what I do to promote roots and rooting on cuttings / leaves which have neither. If they're rooted they're ready for watering, but until then they're mist-worthy - your suggested schedule is spot on. I wish I could remember to mist even that often!

Bookmark   July 20, 2013 at 11:57AM
mrslenne(9 PHX, AZ)

I would like to thank every one for their responces. I took the plunge and buried the little roots. My plants are now thriving more than ever, taking root and popping up new flowers. I love it, and it is so cool to watch. I did keep in the window sill and have also continued to mist them daily to every other day. The roots are now spreading out and wrapping themselves in the soil. Does anyone know about how long it takes to get full grown? I am assuming I can expect that around this spring??

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 4:47PM
LuluLee

Hi Mrslenne, I'm a bit off-topic but I LOVE that picture collage you made with your succulents - what kind of program is that? Love the borders and the fonts!

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 5:24PM
mrslenne(9 PHX, AZ)

LuluLee, it is an app in the Google Play Market called Photo Grid ð I love it.

Bookmark   July 27, 2013 at 6:13PM
rachpreach

I just got roots also. Some have tiny little leaves. I've just been misting everyday. I'm just so fascinated with this process. I guess it's not good to tamper with them to check the root growth? I cant help it. It's so cute and exciting! I will let them be. Once the baby plants start to grow in, how long do you wait to replant them into a new home?

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 12:48AM
LuluLee

Thanks mrslenne, I'll go check it out :-)

Bookmark   July 31, 2013 at 9:00PM
rachpreach

ok well since i didnt get a response to my last question, ill ask another. I often visit Lowes to look at their succulents, they have a very good selection here in my town of Shreveport. I notice that the fallen leaves of some of the plants have baby plants growing off of them and it seems like there is no shriveling to the mother leave what so ever. Im pretty sure Lowes waters their plants every day and im pretty sure they dont have them in a good mix, so my point is, what gives? Im over here "babying" my cuttings and theirs are just falling left and right and just sprouting like hot cakes. Kind of discouraging....lol.

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 12:41PM
cactusmcharris

rach,

Benign neglect, sayeth The Book. Those mother leaves will shrivel up, it's just that they're still getting lots of water, as you noted, while yours might be getting the occasional spritz.

I'm for the stressed style myself, but others prefer the prosperously plump look.

Bookmark   August 3, 2013 at 12:55PM
norma_2006

Now you can water, it depends on the plant and where you are growing.this plant You failed to mention the species. Small plant small roots, small pot. grandually increase size of pot as needed. Norma

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 2:07AM
rachpreach

Well they do have them in small pots. My cuttings are all gathered in a medium sized tericotta pot. I guess I can try an ice tray so when I mist they will get more of the concentration of the water.

Bookmark   August 4, 2013 at 12:30PM
More Discussions
growing succulents from seeds
Is there a special trick to growing succulents from...
Britni Rice
Will this plant make it?
I put this plant in the sun for a almost a day and...
yonatin
lots of new cactus, but are these 2 going to make it?
HELLO! So, Im new to cactus but I wanted some, and...
n3wport
Jades Surviving, but not Thriving
Hello! New here, but I've been lurking for the last...
andelice
What's your growing area look like
Includes patios greenhouses ect. Notice the lack of...
spikef35
Sponsored Products
Couristan Timeless Treasures Royal Rug - 43070300022811U
$299.00 | Hayneedle
Hampton Antique Mahogany Dresser
Overstock.com
Nur Halogen Suspension by Artemide
$1,065.00 | Lumens
Bulbrite Frosted Dimmable MR16 Halogen Gu10 Base Light Bulb - 8 pk. - BULB672
$55.92 | Hayneedle
Contemporary Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Artistic Weavers Rugs John Beige 8 ft.
Home Depot
Alpine Furniture Astoria 5 Piece Metal Dining Set - ALPE194
Hayneedle
Alfresco Home Martini Stackable Bistro Chair Anisette - Set of 2 - 26-1308
$236.00 | Hayneedle
Personalized 64-ounce Amber Growler
Overstock.com
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™