Are Meyer Lemons deer resistant?

caliloo(z6/7)March 15, 2012

I am probably going to move my Meyer Lemon outside this week. Temps are not going below the upper 40's and going to be in the upper 60's to low 70's. I am really tempted to move my tree to the partially shaded area of my patio. The big concern I have is whether the deer will denude the tree - it has hundreds of buds and I would hate for the deer that periodically roam my yard to damage it.

Thoughts>

Alexa

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

Alexa,

I have 15 or so citrus trees in the yard and we have a healthy deer population. I was having massive damage to fruit trees on the property so recently fenced the entire property......BUT the deer never once bothered my citrus, not so much as a leaf. The deer here are use to citrus and don't like them. Since citrus are new to your deer they may sample it but that should be it.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 7:35AM
houstontexas123(z9a)

i dont know any mammals that eat citrus leaves. i never tried any myself but doubt it tastes any good. i know the swallotail butterflies like to lay their eggs on citrus leaves. i had a few 2 years ago, a few of them turned to pupa and i know atleast one of them hatched, saw it flying around the yard early spring.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 5:07PM
johnmerr(11)

I have 3,000 Meyer trees on my "home" farm; and a small herd of goats; I can tell you for sure that Meyer lemon trees are among the most favorite foods of the goats. Anytime someone forgets to close a gate, the goats run thru and start eating the trees; of course the trees recover, but it takes awhile. Funny thing is they don't ever bother the numerous other varieties of citrus I have; only the Meyers. Don't know about deer, but their diet is very much like a goat.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 5:20PM
subtropix

Caliloo, the deer have a squatters' colony by my house. They do not touch my citrus. Deer tend to ignore very aromatic plants and citrus leaves and flowers are very aromatic. But I have seen squirrels running off with kumquats.

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 5:29PM
bamboo_rabbit(9A Inverness FL)

If you like Thai food you eat citrus leaves with almost every meal:)

Bookmark   March 15, 2012 at 6:29PM
caliloo(z6/7)

Thanks everyone. I did have it outside last fall before it got cold and the deer never touched it, but they were fat and happy and full from a summer of gorging themselves on hostas, and daylilys. I know if they are hungry enough they will eat anything, but I hope they decide there are better options.

Thanks!

Bookmark   March 16, 2012 at 5:59AM
More Discussions
New Oro Blanco
We hit 99 degrees today and my newly planted Oro blanco...
evdesert 9B Indio, CA
New growth still light greenish
I recently acquired 2 page oranges and one has had...
sgreer13
Phoenix Orange Tree Watering Schedule/Setup
All, I just moved into a house with an orange tree...
Andrew McCabe
Sunniland Citrus, Avocado and Mango Fertilizer 6-4-6
I buy this Sunniland Citrus, Avocado and Mango Fertilizer...
Randy31513
Dekopon on its way
Well I just paid Harris for it. $38 shipped. We will...
mksmth zone 6b Tulsa Oklahoma
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™