Clivia Nobilis

hardytropicalguy(z6 SWMI)October 2, 2009

Species Type or wild occurring Clivia native to South Africa. This species is very slow growing. This plant is probably around 9 or more years of age and has yet to bloom. I think it has very slowly produced up to 4 leaves in the 2 years I have had it. There is a very small offset that is growing along side. This is another pendant or drooping flower type Clivia. Nobilis is more tolerant of bright light and sunny conditions than Clivia Miniata.

Here is a link that might be useful: FlowerfarmandGardens Blog

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
winnjoe(MTL)

What would you say might be the cultural differences that provoke offsetting rather than blooming?
Joe

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 10:49PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hardytropicalguy(z6 SWMI)

Hi Joe,
If you understand the needs of the Clivia species you are growing. And if you give them the best care possible. You can increase your chances of an offset or increase your chances of blooming but it is really partially genetic and climactic differences that make the greatest impact. If and when your Clivia will bloom or offset is different for each and every plant. Some like the Belgians will bloom seasonally like clockwork, some 2x per season. Many Interspecific - A cross between 2 species will offset rapidly, also Clivia Gardenii are more inclined to produce offsets. Some such as those originating in China have been bred for generations to seldom if ever produce an offset.

Bookmark   October 4, 2009 at 11:02PM
More Discussions
How do I ship Lg plant?
I'd like to send a large 2Gallon size plant to my brother...
houstonpat
Is ID without flower possible?
I have this one section of my yard that has a bunch...
Sugi_C
My Clivias
here are my clivias. clivia miniata - orange color clivia...
bunti
Should I divide this clivia
So this is my first clivia that I have. It's supposed...
SteveCorredor
My Clivia Update -- 1.5 years in
I'm sort of embarrassed to post this. Back when I first...
Sugi_C
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™