Succulents in Paradise...

kaktuskrisJuly 27, 2013

In September I am heading back to the Philippines for three weeks, can't wait! Last time saw some awesome Euphorbia, Adenium obesum, Sansevieria, Yucca, other succulents, Bananas, Coconut Palms, Papayas everywhere, eager to see what else I can find. And the green Calamondin Orange, or Calamansi, is a staple, used in a sauce with soy, cane vinegar and tiny hot pepper...It grows wild there. I will be in succulent and tropical heaven indeed...

This was last time...

Christopher

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
stephanie_kay(5a IL)

That is a beautiful COT! Never seen a picture of one so big.

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 6:23AM
kaktuskris

Very common over there, Stephanie.

Christopher

Bookmark   July 28, 2013 at 8:36AM
puglvr1(9b central FL)

Lucky you...I was born in the Philippines...dad was in the army at the time and met my Mom there. Left when I was 10 yrs old , long, long time ago,lol... but remembered all the wonderful fruits there...Mangoes being my most favorite. Enjoy your trip in Sept. one of these days I'll have to visit...my sister is there now and my brother lives there half a year...so I know what I'm missing when it comes to tropical plants and fruits...

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 3:22PM
hanzrobo(11)

Beautiful. Have a great time! Bring me back some Lumpia:)

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 4:29PM
kaktuskris

Thanks, I will make sure I enjoy it, with my family to be. I'll try to drink my share of Red Horse Ale by San Miguel, the local rum, foods like sizzling pork sisig and lechon, and of course try as many different tropical fruits as I can find in the local market. One think I refuse to try is Balut, which is an egg with an almost fully developed chick inside.

Intend to visit a local orphanage there as well, to donate some school supplies and maybe some clothes also. The Philippines is a tropical paradise, but with a degree of poverty that doesn't exist here.

Now, back to plants...the many types of Crotons and Plumeria are trees there, huge. Phalaenopsis Orchids are natives, thriving in the high humidity. Sansevieria are everywhere in spite of that...

Can't wait...

Bookmark   July 29, 2013 at 6:49PM
More Discussions
Help needed with cutting
Hey guy I have a neighbour who has this jade first...
Hamza Nobes
So how about this jade?
I bought this as Crassula obliqua variegata; the leaves,...
marguerite_gw
New Succulent Container Garden, and need advice.
So i just made this succulent container garden, 90-95%...
kizasugondo
Tricolor sport
I was hoping the sport I found on my Tricolor would...
camellia1_gw
Can you please name the exact variety of this cactus (Qatar)
Many YouTube videos and articles say cactus is good...
maufie123
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™