clematis no flowers!

albany1(5)April 21, 2013

I've had a clematis for 10 or 15 years and it has always done well.Last year there were no flowers.Nothing has changed so I'm not sure why.
I've been told to add some triple phosphate now-but others have said don't do it...
any advice?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Other than pruning incorrectly or at the wrong time of year or beng located in too much shade, there really isn't any reason for a clematis not to bloom. In fact, they seem to do so inspite of being grown in challenging conditions :-)

You don't indicate what type of clematis it is and if none of the above reasons apply, I'd be inclined to prune it back hard, fertilize appropriately and wait to see what happens. Adequate water as necessary of course. Unless a type1 or very early blooming clematis, you should still see some flowering this season.

Bookmark   April 21, 2013 at 3:00PM
albany1(5)

thanks gardengal48!
Yes, it was pruned hard(like always)and I was thinking I might try triple phosphate this year (any opinions on that?)
although I'm reading that tomato/rose fertilizer might be better.So far it has not been an either warm or sunny spring!

Bookmark   April 22, 2013 at 6:18AM
gardengal48

I shy away from any heavy phosphate fertilizer. Phosphorus pollution is the number one contamination source for groundwater and streams in the US and the vast majority comes from homeowner applications. Personally, I think triple phosphate should be banned but that's just my opinion :-)

You should do fine with the tomato or rose fertilizer and I'd lean heavily towards an organic product. While even organic sources of phosphorus can leach they do not do so nearly to the same degree as something like the triple P.

Bookmark   April 23, 2013 at 2:07PM
More Discussions
Where did the gallery photos go?
Is there a way to access previous gallery photos? ...
mnwsgal 4 MN
Clematis in SW Tennessee
Just moved here from Northern IL where I had lots and...
ryseryse_2004
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
How climate specific are clematis?
I want to add a few clematis to my gardens. I actually...
subk3
Sponsored Products
Napoli Pink Tea And Coffee Set With Flower
Classic Hostess
Dura-Trel Melrose Trellis - 11191
$109.99 | Hayneedle
Bougainvillea tablecloth (green/red)
Origin Crafts
Belleza Canvas Print
Grandin Road
Gama Sonic Path & Landscape Lights Solar Powered LED Black Hanging Spotlight
$39.00 | Home Depot