Growing A Clivia like an Orchid ?????

bronxfigsNovember 16, 2011

I have read the posting(s) and looked at the pictures within this forum regarding mounting and growing Clivia as one would grow an epiphytic orchid.

Has anyone attempted to try out this method? I was thinking of trying to grow a Clivia in a slatted, Vanda-basket, and hanging it in a sunny window in the winter months, then outside when weather permits.

This to me is so unconventional, but yet, maybe it would work as a growing alternative, if, cultural conditions/nutrition can be met.

Any thoughts?

Frank

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
CliviaUSA

Theres a fellow in Korea who does this successfully but he mounts the whole POT on the wall, so its not really a cork or bark mounting like you are talking about. never tried anything like it myself.

Bookmark   November 17, 2011 at 6:08PM
bronxfigs

CliviaUSA....

Until I saw a picture of this growing method posted on this forum, I would have never believed that a Clivia could grow, thrive, and bloom growing as an epiphytic orchid would grow. If I knew how to do it, I'd link the photo to this discussion. When I saw the photo of this Clivia growing mounted, as growers mount orchids, I was reminded of a plant that looked like a very large Phalaenopsis.

Unconventional-looking....that's for sure.

Frank

Bookmark   November 19, 2011 at 1:45PM
bubba62

I've grown both orchids and clivias for years, and I see no reason why this wouldn't work, as long as the environment could be kept humid enough and watering during the growing season was consistent. In our hot summers, plants with exposed roots would have to be watered at least twice a day. It might reduce the weight of the mature plants, which has been the only drawback to growing them, in my experience. An attempt to grow them in lighter, plastic pots ended in failure when I almost lost a couple to overwatering, so they're back in gigantic clay pots which weigh a ton.

Bookmark   November 20, 2011 at 7:02AM
More Discussions
Spots on yellow Clivia
Hello all back in need of more help, I noticed these...
anrev1719
My Clivia Update -- 1.5 years in
I'm sort of embarrassed to post this. Back when I first...
sugi_c
Old Clivias never do anything!
I live in S. Louisiana just north of New Orleans, zone...
jockewing
Flowers clivia stuck in the middle
I have a problem. My clivia stopped in the middle of...
Lulu-dori
has anyone ever tried growing a Clivia in coco peat?
I was curious. I have been using a griity soil for...
meyermike_1micha
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™