ID of plant please

murphy_zone7June 9, 2009

Hello....There is a shrub in bloom now in the Anderson SC area that I have tried to identify for about a year now. Its leaves are dark green shiny and the flowers are orangey/red. After a while the flower changes to a fruit like fleshy bulb, also orangey/red. The fruit is small about the size of the end of your thumb and has seeds in it.

Someone told me it is a "pomegranate tree" and the fruit does look very much like a very mini pomegranate. But I wonder if that is the real name.

I would post a picture but unfortunately my computer skills are not that great.

Thank you in advance for any help.

Murphy

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

Murphy - there are a bunch of different types of pomegranates, some are small, some are very dark (almost black), some are kinda tan colored. To make things more confusing, what one type is called in Europe, its called something else over here even though they are more than likely the same plant. At this time of year the fruit will be pretty small, they take all summer to swell and ripen.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 9:17AM
hemlady(z7NC)

It's a pomegranate shrub. I have one, Beautiful.

Bookmark   June 9, 2009 at 12:26PM
murphy_zone7

Thank you so much. Does the pomegranate become edible? I think the plant is beautiful too, hemlady. In fact, I have two little ones about a foot high that I rooted off cuttings from a big plant found in the yard of my great grandfather. As I said, I have been trying for over a year to identify.
Trianglejohn, thank you for clarifying. It is confusing but the plant I have has reddish orange flowers and the fruits are also reddish orange. Gonna go with pomegranate shrub. Thank you for taking the time to respond. I read your posts and you are incredibly helpful and knowledgeable.
Murphy

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 5:30AM
trianglejohn

Some are mostly grown as blooming plants and have fruit that doesn't have much flavor. Some are so hard there is no way to break into the fruit anyway. Even the good tasting ones are better tasting in one persons garden than anothers. I have a small shrub form called 'State Fair' which has a ton of fruit but they are pretty small and brownish - not what you'd think of as tasty but they taste ok. Its flowers are the bright orange/red but they don't open up all the way like most of them.

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 11:21AM
hemlady(z7NC)

Murphy, I got my shrub from my mother's yard nearly 20 years ago. She got hers from my grandmother 20 years before that. This is a great pass-along shrub that I seldom ever see anywhere else. Denise

Bookmark   June 10, 2009 at 2:59PM
More Discussions
Hello all, long time no speak
It's Nannerbelle. I already had a ID on Houzz so this...
rottie59
Dwarf Tomatoes - Anyone Growing Them?
I recently acquired a copy of the excellent new book...
Ralph Whisnant
School flower project....mulch over clay?
My daughter has been looking forward to sowing seeds...
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b
Greenville South Carolina Plant Swap
Greenville Glen will be hosting a Spring Plant Swap...
tbug
Callistemon citrinus & Cordyline australis --Winter hardy plants?
Hello, Has anyone had experience in keeping these plants...
gardening_in_nc
Sponsored Products
Innova Bamboo Plant Stand - C339-73
$52.82 | Hayneedle
French country rattan wall basket 20"
Origin Crafts
Roelyn Orchid Double Candlestick - MULTI COLORS
$2,800.00 | Horchow
Home Decorators Indoor/Outdoor Home Decorators Collection Rugs Mandarin Rust
Home Depot
Nearly Natural UV Resistant Indoor/Outdoor 7.5' Areca Palm
Beyond Stores