Pull off leaves to encourage growth?

abohmsMarch 26, 2014

I have a small meyer lemon seedling about three months old now. It grew four new leaves fairly quick however now it seems to be doing nothing. Is it too early to prune a leave off to encourage growth? My plant is receiving plenty of water & light, also a very healthy green so I'm not sure what it could be, thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
krismast(6 S.E. PA)

Please try to post some picture so we can help you better. Picking off leaves doesn't encourage growth, but pruning does. Judging by what you have said I would say it's too early to cut anything. Keep doing what you're doing and as long as it is healthy it will push new growth. Citrus grows in flushes so eventually it will put out new leaves!

Kris

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 10:02AM
abohms

Thank you Kris, I have attached a photo, the seedling at the top is the one I'm referencing. I am very much a rookie at this so while I am at it when would be ideal to transplant this into something bigger? Thanks again

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 10:40AM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

More sure, 1/2 strength fertilizer and patience. Don't pull off leaves, you barely have any to start with, and this would not do anything to increase growth rate. Your little seedlings need ALL of their leaves to continue to grow. Be sure not to have the soil get too wet or stay too wet, or you'll tamp off your seedlings. They're fine now, but as they grow, you'll eventually want to move them up to a 1 gal pot.

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 11:03AM
abohms

Great thank you Patty I appreciate the advice

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 11:34AM
meyermike_1micha(5)

I think its very cute..I have a few like that..I'd leave it in it's pots unless the mix breaks down and let the roots fill in..
I'd also fertilize quite a bit encouraging good growth this year...It's nicw and green and healthy looking. Good job

Bookmark   March 26, 2014 at 12:18PM
More Discussions
Thomasville Citrangequat Zone 6b SUCCESS
Just wanted to let everyone know that my Thomasville...
rqhansen
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
Which Cara Cara Orange to Choose?
I'd like to try growing this variety in a container....
charles27gardener
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™