How to get blooms

kwie2011July 30, 2014

What kind of fertilizer is best for potted succulents if you actually want them to bloom?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
DavidL.ca

I use Schultz Cactus & Succulent fertilizer (2.7.7.). Following the direction on the box seems okay, but most will probably dilute it to even less. They need very low nitrogen fertilizers. Most succulents need little to none fertilizers, but they can sure benefit from a bit of it (once a month?). Mesembs (Lithops, Pleiospilos, Fenestraria, Argyroderma), on the other hand, shouldn't be fertilized..

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 8:29PM
kwie2011

Thanks, David!

I hope to grow some Mesembs one day, so that extra little nugget about their care is appreciated.

Kwie

Bookmark   July 30, 2014 at 9:18PM
DavidL.ca

No problem! My growing condition isn't optimal for blooming either, but so far I'm having some luck. One Lithops, one Pleiospilos, and Anacompseros have bloomed, with my Senecio and rescue key lime pie getting ready for some action. But then again I've only been growing succulents for a bit over 2 months, so probably can't take all the credit.

This post was edited by DavidL.ca on Thu, Jul 31, 14 at 11:51

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 11:46AM
nil13(z21 L.A., CA (Mt. Washington))

I think little to none fertilizer is overstating it. While they can definitely get by on minimal nutrients, none is right out. It is just that when growers include an organic fraction its decomposition provides a slow trickle of fertilizer to the plants in sufficient quantity for at least maintenance. If you put the plant in straight pumice and don't provide nutrients in any way, the plant will die.

Bookmark   July 31, 2014 at 1:06PM
More Discussions
What to do with this?
Hi everyone we had this superb plant in our garden...
garazy
Crassula ovata rot?
Okay so I was given a large cutting last Thursday and...
Hamza Nobes
Aztcqn's Spiky & Fat Herd
I'm back with a renewed effort to make my yard a place...
aztcqn
Mother of Thousands (Kalanchoe)- can I prune it?
I have two of these in pots. The main problem is that...
elizabethk1
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™