vine or vining/climbing rose question

yetoJune 30, 2009

Hi,

I have an old 10' satellite dish that I would like to use as a trellis. I would like to plant a vine or maybe some climbing roses to cover it. If a vine is the best option it would not be necessary that it flowers. The dish is in a part of the yard that gets a lot of sun and the soil is a little on the sandy side. It would be nice if the vine or climbing roses would have foliage year round. Also, if possible, low maintenance would be nice(something that would not end up with a large stem like a trumpet vine I have in another part of the yard).

Could someone recommend something?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Yeto

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

I guess first thing to think about is covering the dish with something like chicken wire so your future vines will have something to cling to. Is the dish installation slanted?

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 9:35AM
yeto

The dish is mesh so I should be fine there.

"Is the dish installation slanted?" (not sure I understand the question but if you mean what direction is the dish pointed--it is pointed towards my house--not towards the sky)

Thanks for your reply,
Yeto

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 10:58AM
puddle_of_mud(NC - zone 7)

If you want to hide the dish, a Lady Banks Rose is a big ol' barn eater! She really wants to cover up my shed. I have to cut her back twice a year.

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 11:56AM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Is the dish itself 10' wide or in its slanted position, 10' tall from the ground?
How high is the post?
Can you change the dish position to parallel to the ground? Just thinking that in that position, you could plant underneath the dish and ,first cutting holes in the mesh, thread your vining plants or a couple of lady banks rose up through the holes to use the diameter of the dish as support for the canes.
I've seen LBR grown on/over tall trellises like wisteria. You have to keep after clipping the lower branches(it has a tendency to sucker). But still, it's not entirely evergreen and a 10'wide planting you might not want or have the room for and the bloom period is short in early spring.

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 1:43PM
yeto

Hi,

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

The dish is 10' in diameter. It is perpendicular to the ground. The pole that the dish is mounted on places the bottom of the dish 2' above the ground therefore placing the top of the dish 12' above the ground. I cannot change the position of the dish.

I am basically looking for some type of vine that will be easy to maintain and that will hide the dish year round. I envision the vine climbing up the pole over the back of the dish and then down the front.

Thanks in advance for any help,
Yeto

Bookmark   June 30, 2009 at 10:20PM
More Discussions
Copper Canyon Daisy
Does anyone know where i can find seed or plants of...
Ralph Whisnant
Free Talk re Edible Landscaping in Cary
Brie Arthur recently gave a talk at the Rock Garden...
Ralph Whisnant
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
Farm lands in and around Wake County?
I am planning on buying 3 to 5 acres of farm land....
aaaaaaaa
Errosion on active creek
I need help saving the large trees on the banks of...
kellyinnc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™