What Critter is Doing This?

hdcochranJune 27, 2009

I live on the Neuse R. estuary in coastal NC. Some critter is making off with the immature oranges on my small potted tree. Once there were 13 of 1" size or larger. One by one they disappeared overnight until now there are only 7. Suspects include deer, raccoons, squirrels, possums. Any ideas what kind of critter likes immature oranges? Any suggested preventative measures?

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
mbuckmaster(7B/NC)

My vote is for squirrels. Between them and my my deer, it's amazing I even have a garden. Preventative measures (non-violent, I assume)?...offer them dried corn on the cob and they'll eat their fill there. Then they may leave your oranges alone. Of course, you can always cart the tree inside every night...what a pain! =)

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 10:31AM
Bumblebeez SC Zone 7

Deer would eat the leaves, a raccoon would knock over the pot, opossums aren't interested, so, probably squirrels.

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 3:11PM
Tammy Kennedy

squirrels are very destructive to immature and mature fruit, in my experience. Another vote for them. As for what you can do- try spraying/sprinkling the bush with hot pepper. You can also cover it with netting- but keep the netting off the bush or they'll gnaw through the net to get to the fruit (i found out the hard way last year). I have read that leaving some exlax out for them in bits in the pot will deter them- they eat the exlax, get sick and associate the pot with getting sick. They have eaten the exlax for me, but it didn't really deter them from coming after the fruit later, so i'd take that one with a grain of salt. Best of luck!

Bookmark   June 27, 2009 at 3:16PM
mbuckmaster(7B/NC)

I must have jinxed myself by replying to this post, because yesterday morning I saw a squirrel on my potted lime tree, ripping off an immature fruit. Squirrels are playing havoc with my garden this year...they're almost up there with the deer, they're so bad!

Bookmark   July 5, 2009 at 9:10AM
More Discussions
Did he "crape-murder" my crape myrtle ?
My husband looked online for instructions on how to...
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
Wanted: bamboo shoots from large bamboo
I'd like to harvest bamboo shoots from large bamboo(to...
lillon
Hello all, long time no speak
It's Nannerbelle. I already had a ID on Houzz so this...
rottie59
Looking for some medium tomato ideas
I am not really interested in growing the biggest tomato....
minuet_7a
Looking for orange lily
About 7 years ago I bought an orange lily from a horticulturist...
bonnie_il
Sponsored Products
44.4 Wh Multi-Voltage Rechargeable Battery Pack ( 5, 12, or 24 VDC)
EnvironmentalLights.com
Bramble - Chateau Divider - 25412
Great Furniture Deal
Davenport Hugger Ceiling Fan by Quorum International
$306.00 | Lumens
Afina Broadway Surface Mount Double Door Medicine Cabinet - 25W x 4D x 19H in. M
$395.00 | Hayneedle
Home Decorators Accent Rug: Kensington Seafoam 2' x 3'
$27.99 | Home Depot
Washed Serapi Rug 8' x 10'
$4,199.00 | Horchow
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™