ideas for childrens area?

WestEnder(z7 Atlanta GA)January 16, 2007

Our new community garden is starting to fill in; we have built 6 of our 12 raised beds and our membership quota is almost full. A couple of our members have babies and I had thought our children's area would probably consist of a sandbox or small play area for them. But now I am discovering that our garden might actually be a magnet for older children in the neighborhood, which is a delightful surprise. I've noticed children from ages about 6 up into their teens coming by repeatedly to look into the garden. Can anyone offer ideas or their experiences with children's areas and activities in your community garden? We have serious space limitations, but I want to fit something in to take advantage of any interest our neighborhood kids have in gardening.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
iowgardenangel(zn5 IA)

we made a small alice in wonderland garden, we got a cheap little gitl on a bench she was painting, put minture red roses by it.[ painting roses red]found an uprite rabbit, had lily of valley like in book etc.used a resin cat dish looked like chsire cat used it as bird feeder, took teapot big barrell and big tea cup n saucer from y sale , made a tea pot fountain, alittle much for your space but gives you an idea any nursery ryme or childs book can give you idea. kids loved it.

Bookmark   February 11, 2007 at 11:20AM
dayspringgirl

we are thinking of a sunflower house and a bean teepee - not sure on the size, but you could make as big or little maybe?

Bookmark   February 21, 2007 at 11:58AM
willowtrree(uk)

How about a musical corner with objects hanging from branches or a frame of some sort..things that blow in the wind like chimes or are 'played' by the children..hanging colourful containers/bottles, with different levels of water/sound etc? We have similar in our local nursery school.

Bookmark   March 4, 2007 at 11:55AM
trotter_grower

remember to put in lots of fountains so the children can get wet. and dont forget the toys

Bookmark   May 9, 2007 at 9:26AM
More Discussions
Any community gardens in Cary NC area?
Hi, I just moved to Cary NC area. I would like rent...
aaaaaaaa
How do you motivate volunteers?
Our town has a new community garden, organized by a...
pink_overalls
Thinking of Joining a Community Garden
Hello all, I am thinking about renting a plot from...
kcg1231
Wicking????
Has anyone tried this Wicking process in their community...
livfesustainably
No Community Garden? Sharing Backyards!
I wasn't sure where to post this information on the...
BluenoseDee
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™