Clematis stem accidentally damaged, what to do

Antonio_GrApril 1, 2014

Hello everyone,
I am completely new to the whole gardening experience, and I have spent the last few weeks building up some nice borders in my patio and all was going well but I did a bit of a stupid thing today.
Essentially, my clematis which I planted a few weeks ago is growing nicely and had a shoot of about 6-8cm above ground, but it was angled away from the fence, so I bravely (stupidly) decided to tie it to some support and guide it that way...unfortunately I was a bit too blunt with the plant and I ended up squeezing the thin stem about half way up too much and I think I ruined it (it is bent now).
What should I do?!? Will it repair itself if I just leave it? Do I just cut it off? I know it is early still in the season, so it could grow back nicely in no time, but I don't want to do anything too rash!
Thanks for your help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
gardengal48

Just leave it - it will regenerate from the broken point or, with luck and proper planting, you will get additional stem growth from the crown.

This is a perfect example of why it is important to plant clematis vines deeply to encourage additional stem development - with the baby plants, those newly emerging stems are too delicate and far too vulnerable to damage. Always a good idea to maximize the growth potential by planting deeply to encourage multiple stem growth.

Bookmark   April 1, 2014 at 4:40PM
More Discussions
Is this clematis dead legs?
This is a corallary to my earlier message showing the...
marko_212
Clematis winter beauty
I planted a clematis winter beauty before xmas and...
arymretep
Is this clematis 'dead legs'?
Hello, I'm new to this site and growing clematis I...
marko_212
Buckland Beuaty
This is one of my favourite clematis
ianrtaylor
Is Sweet Autumn Clematis Appropriate?
My neighbors utility vehicles are parked right up to...
florananny
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™