Ethnic Community Garden-Any Input?

ginger_nh(z4 NH)February 15, 2002

I am considering presenting the idea of an ethnic community garden to my fellow master gardeners as a possible project for this coming season. We live in an area of NH that has traditionally been almost exclusively white New Englanders, some Native Americans, and a handful of Afro-Americans. Our ethnic group was French-Canadians! Over the past 7-8 years we have had an influx of immigrants and refugees--we now have many Vietnamese, Thai, Bosnians, Croats, Somalians, Sudanese, and Russians. Our police chief has started a diversity task force dedicated to watchdogging any discrimination and making the new people feel welcome.

I am thinking that a community garden with areas dedicated to the crops grown by the different groups (e.g., Balkans area, Somalia area, Vietnamese area, New England area, etc.), with the plants labeled, tended by the new arrivals, Master Gardeners, high school ag students, etc., would be a good way for the community to embrace our new members and get to know each other. Education could go on there as well, 4-H groups, school groups. . .

Anyone have experience with this?

Ginger

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Snavlr

With such a wonderful mixture of peoples I think part of your job will become redundant pretty early as in having to organise their plantings of native crops, it'll probably just happen as a matter of course. Me thinks p'raps all you'll have to organise is the mixture of cultures when allotting the plots. I wonder if it would make for more interaction between the gardeners not to have different sections for different ethnic groups, rather allocate by a draw or something.

What a wonderful idea, there's a different 'air' to people who get down to the soil and I daresay that all of us lose the cares of the world whether we're tending a pot or a plot. Best wishes for your project.

Here is a link that might be useful: COGS

Bookmark   February 17, 2002 at 5:36PM
dragonfly53

This sounds like a wonderful idea. I do not have any experience, but at the New York Botanical Garden,Bronx NY there is a Global Garden in the Ruth Rea Howell Family Garden. Volunteers from the neighboring community maintain plots filled with plants from their native countries. Possibly, they may be able provide you with some info & guidance. The address is New York Botanical Garden, Bronx River Parkway @ Fordham Rd., Bronx NY 10458. The phone number for the Family Garden Manager is 718-817-8126. Good luck in your endeavors.

Bookmark   March 10, 2002 at 3:22PM
KAYGARDENER(BAY AREA--CALIF)

HAVE LAND & THEY WILL PLANT-- A SINCERE INTEREST IN WHAT DIFFERENT GROUPS GROW AS THEIR GARDENING HERITAGES WILL DO WONDERS-- IN VARIOUS COMMUNITY GARDENS, WE HAD PEOPLE FROM INDIA, CANADIAN POLISH, VIETNAMESE, HMONG, PERSIAN, SW AMERICAN INDIAN,KOREAN, FRENCH, GERMAN, ETC...I PICKED UP A LOT OF NEW IDEAS-- SEED CATALOGS W/ PICTURES HELPED TO BRIDGE THE LANGUAGE BARRIERS...GOOD GARDENING TO YOU!

Bookmark   December 21, 2002 at 3:11AM
More Discussions
size of most plots in community gardens?
we are starting a community garden in baytown, tx....
bagins
Is a garden near roads/toxic areas better than no garden at all?
I've been thinking about this today as I watch TED...
mmiesse
I need some help planning a community garden
Hi, I am not a gardener. I am a landlord who recently...
JeffOwens
How to Deter Theft in Community Garden
I am joining a CG this spring as I am now renting a...
terryincs
How do you motivate volunteers?
Our town has a new community garden, organized by a...
pink_overalls
Sponsored Products
Lole Double Pendant by Studio Italia Design
$12,300.00 | Lumens
Traditional Column Vertical Radiator Heater Cast Iron Style White
Hudson Reed
Garden Collection 9-light Crackle Bronze Potrack Chandelier
Overstock.com
Modiss | Miles Pendant Light
YLighting
Mukkara 9-Panel Abstract Wall Art
Grandin Road