Hamlin Orange- sudden leaf drop

alh_in_flMarch 11, 2013

I'm in northern Florida, zone 8b. We can grow hardy citrus here.

Over the last week and a half, my small Hamlin Orange tree has lost nearly all of its leaves. Up until then it was very healthy-looking, with a load of green oranges, a load of blossoms, and some new green growth.

Now all the old leaves have gone, the newer ones are curling a little, and the blossoms are dying. I've had the tree outside in a pot for about a year. I was going to plant it in the ground once the blossoms were done. The branches are still green.

It would put it down to the crazy temp fluctuations we've had over the last month (from 85 degrees to 30 degrees in two days, for example) but my other citrus is fine.
The other citrus is: Duncan Grapefruit in the ground, Satsumas in the ground, Calamondin in a pot, and Sanguinella blood orange in a pot. Maybe they were just in the right location and/or the right variety of citrus that it didn't bother them so much?
I have not been watering it any differently than usual. I did give it a little citrus fertilizer a couple weeks ago but the other citrus got fertilized too with no ill effects

What do you all think? And do you think the tree will recover?
Thanks,
Ann in Alachua County FL

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Doglips(8b/9a)

My initial guess would be root rot exaserbated by cold weather.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 8:14AM
alh_in_fl

Yikes, root rot? I thought that would cause a more gradual decline in health? This tree was beautiful until a couple of weeks ago.

If it *is* root rot, will transplanting it to a well-drained location in the ground save it?

FWIW it appears the leaves have stopped dropping. The remaining leaves (mostly new growth but some old ones) look normal and healthy.

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 11:08AM
greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a

First thing to do would be to carefully slip it out of its pot to inspect the roots. If you find rot, trim the dead roots away and re-pot in a fast-draining mix of coarse, durable, porous ingredients.

Josh

Bookmark   March 12, 2013 at 12:55PM
love_the_yard(z9A Jax FL)

Citrus Greening.

Here is a link that might be useful: Citrus Greening of Concern to Gardeners

Bookmark   March 16, 2013 at 5:04PM
alh_in_fl

Citrus greening is supposed to have yellowing leaves as a first symptom. Mine were green one day, and dying the next.
Still hoping it will come back...

Bookmark   March 18, 2013 at 12:55PM
More Discussions
S.O.S.! What is happening to my lemon tree?
Lemon tree is about 2 years old, started from seed....
afo316
My lemon tree needs help!
Hello, I recently got a new house with some citrus...
Roderick Agius
Should Moro Blood Orange be ripe yet in Zone 9b Southern CA?
We purchased 2 Moro Blood Oranges last spring and they...
Suzi AKA DesertDance Zone 9b
Omari satsuma in the desert
I'm debating on getting an Owari Satsuma (OS) but live...
zwoydziak9bsunset13
what kind of lemon orange mix is this?
the inside is not like a lemon. it can be peeled easily...
preppystud
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™