New plants from Trader Joe's (what is it?)

suivezmoi(8)July 16, 2014

Couldnt resist these when I was going in to grab lunch (I was only supposed to come out with plants I could eat)

No idea what this one is. I actually thought it was fake for a little bit.

Seems like an ok little assortment

These are some I picked up at the nursery last week. Havent potted them yet, they don't seem to be a good fit for any of the ones I already have.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
pirate_girl(Zone7 NYC)

Hi, What shall we call you -- Suivez? Je parle francaise.

I think your first plant is Kalanchoe tomentosa (maybe called Chocolate Soldier). Yeah, pretty cool looking.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 11:12PM
rosemariero(Z9 SW SUNDiegoCA)

Wow ~I didn't know Trader Joe's sold any sux. =)

As Karen (pirate girl) said, 1st one is Kalanchoe tomentosa (cultivar). Most would probably call this 'Chocolate Soldier'. I think it's 'Golden Girl', but it might just look different when grown in different conditions. (one of those!)

Multi-sux pot: Tall one -Crassula, maybe 'Campfire' (if so, should turn red for you if grown in sun), skinny leaved one -Sedum of some sort (I'm rushing-so not researching), one in front -possibly Crassula tetragona (but need a better look), on right -seems to be Aeonium 'Kiwi' (but could be other).

3rd pic: both Euphorbia, left one crested, right one might be E. fimbriata (most often called E. mammillaris, mistakenly). More tomorrow, if time permits. :P

Last pic: I have never seen that combination of grafted cactus! Neat-O! One on right is Euphorbia horrida 'Snowflake'.

Bookmark   July 16, 2014 at 11:54PM
suivezmoi(8)

Thanks y'all. I like having names to go with them :)

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 2:40AM
rina_

...rosemarie, hoping your son is better?...Rina

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 9:18AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

The crested Euphorbia might be Euphorbia spirals cristata.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 10:06AM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

Excuse me Howard and Rosemarie. But I think that is a crested Huernia. Parts not crested is a Huernia. Never seen one like it.
Suivezmoi,
Can you get another one from the nursery you bought that one from . Email me for more information. I can't email you.
Stush

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 4:56PM

Sorry, Stush, but I disagree. The non-cresting part also looks like a Euphorbia. You can see the leaves on the crested & non-cresting plants. Huernia do not have leaves, more like protrusions...which the plant does have...so I can see why you thought so. Brain isn't firing on all cylinders YET to give a suggestion as to species. I will go look up Howard's suggestion! I'll be baaaack!

Thank you, Rina! :) Son is better. Past the pain part. Kidney stone must've moved into the bladder. Day 8 now, waiting for it to EXIT! :P

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 6:03PM
suivezmoi(8)

Hey Stush, I am unable to email you. It says delivery error. I am sure I can get another one, I think I saw one there today.

Bookmark   July 17, 2014 at 11:20PM

A bit more sleep, so brain might be firing on all pins today. :D

Just coming back to show my 'Chocolate Soldier'. Keep in mind it's in California's full sun, so it has compact growth & darker (better IMO) color. 1st pic is from awhile back (could be yrs ago) w/the species, Kal tomentosa. 2nd pic is plant in more recent days.
Click for larger view

You can Google images of Kalanchoe 'Golden Girl', but will find many mislabeled. You will find ones that look like yours.

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 12:35PM

As for the crested Euphorbia, Howard's suggestion does seem very close. I have found 2 pix online showing plants that do look similar to Euphorbia spiralis. However, to me, the one plant that isn't crested (that I can see) looks like it has only 7 ribs & it is not spiraling. My plant has 8 ribs & they are very close together at the top.

There is another Euphorbia I have in mind...unfortunately, not in "words"...that I cannot recall at the moment, or find~no matter how hard I try. :P

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 1:13PM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

suivezmoi,
Forgot to menition my carrier changed. It is now stanqk1@comcast.net.
Roro,
I coppied picture and blew it up and still see a huernia. I have some with 9 ribs, 8 ribs and 6 and 5 with 4 being the most common. My crested Huernia has 11 ribs. makes it very hard to count. Didn't see those leaves but my be the soft spines of huernia.
Right now I am a Huernia addact and seeing them everywhere so maybe my brain is the one not working.
Also forgot to add my good wishes to your son as well. I had them once and can not remember a more painful experience. God bless.
Stush

Bookmark   July 18, 2014 at 4:20PM

Stush, I agree Huernia are great plants. It's easy to become an addict. Still, the leaves are the main characteristic that says it is NOT a Huernia. The plant could be pricked to see if it bleeds a milky sap (=Euphorbia).

Thanks for your good wishes for our son. He is on the mend. :D It was no fun, 3 of the 7 days pain a 10, on scale of 1 to 10. I believe it is the closest thing to childbirth that men can experience. Yeow! Glad you only had it once!

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 12:06AM
Enterotoxigenic00

Goodness, Trader Joe's...now another place I have to check for plants!
Nice variety.
Karen

Bookmark   July 19, 2014 at 9:26AM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

suivezmoi,
Please email me. I corrected my member's page. I want to ask you about that crested one in the picture. If you can get another one?
Stush

Bookmark   July 20, 2014 at 4:34PM
More Discussions
Starting out with lots of Questions about my Succulents!
Good afternoon ladies/gentlemen! I have a few questions...
Britni Rice
End of Winter Update: Cuttings
So the infamously lengthy Canadian winter has finally...
DavidL.ca
Little Cyathia and Hopes of Bigger Things...
Cyathia on my little Euphorbia today, and little buds...
kaktuskris
New too indoor succulents, need advice
Hey everybody, So i've recently started trying to grow...
gerettj
It's Started...Again!
Yes, the new season of saying good-by to our winter...
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™