Is it too late?

rosebush(z7 NC)June 3, 2008

To plant butterbeans? Everything else is in the ground, but I have realized at the last minute that I would like these in my garden and might have enough room after all. I'm in the foothills.

Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

I am also late with some of my summer crop so I plan on starting some things later than normal.

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 1:39PM
tamelask(z8a NC)

I think up til July 4th is what i've heard before for summer crops. I know i've planted tomatoes and peperes around that time or even later and had decent crops. I also know i've done green beans at least that late, so i'd guess butters would be ok. Remember, our first frost is often as late as late oct-nov, so we still have lots of warm weather for things to grow &bear.

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 1:51PM
rosebush(z7 NC)

Thank you! I started so early with other veggies that I feel like I'm somehow behind schedule. Sounds like it's just the right time to add to my garden. (GREAT, that's JUST what I need! LOL) I'm still picking sugar snap peas, but the heat will finish them quickly now. The cut short beans are growing right next to the peas so they can take over the wire trellis. Tomatoes, zucchini and herbs are all doing well. So far so good! :)

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 3:43PM
nannerbelle(8A)

Well, I'm late this year too. I got very sidetracked with that tornado that took out my garden shed and put my tiller in the shop. But none the less, I'm in the process of planting now. Really blew my plans to plant by the Old Farmers Almanic this year, but got my fingers crossed. I got my herbs started, all in containers this year. So I'm right there with the late veggie starters this year! :-)

Bookmark   June 3, 2008 at 6:50PM
rosebush(z7 NC)

Nannerbelle,
I'm so sorry to hear about your tornado damage. That's really scary! But it sounds like you're okay, and that's the important thing, right? :)
I'm still starting more herbs in containers too, and thinking about planting more cukes. . .as well as the butter beans (LOVE them!) - it never ends! LOL
I hope your garden does well!
Rosemary

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 8:39AM
nannerbelle(8A)

Thanks Rosemary! Yes, we are all OK, no damage to the house, and both DH and I and the pups are all fine. That is the important part!! Homeowners insurance takes care of the rest! :-) I'll most likely do some more herbs once I get the veggies in as well. I tend to be growing herbs as much as I can all year in recent years. Hope your garden does well too!! Nothing like those fresh summer veggies that came from your garden!! :-)

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 3:11PM
jqpublic(7b/8a Wake County NC)

Keep safe out there. I'm gonna hibernate for 2 weeks til the 99's and 100's get out of the area. I hope we get a rain in btw though!

Bookmark   June 4, 2008 at 11:57PM
More Discussions
anyone grow Pseudosasa japonica?
Does anyone on this forum have Pseudosasa japonica?...
cousinfloyd
No Prunus Mume Blooms
My young prunus mume (red) was all budded in January...
Claire Pickett
Mushroom workshop--where to find oak or sweetgum logs?
Hi all, I have registered for mushroom workshop in...
annanc14
Symposium in Greensboro, NC
Guilford Horticultural Society has announced its 30th...
ncrescue
Hello all, long time no speak
It's Nannerbelle. I already had a ID on Houzz so this...
rottie59
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™