Why do you garden?

urbanagstudentMarch 28, 2008

I am a graduate student at Boston University working on a project about urban women community gardeners and their motivation to garden.

Is it purely the love of gardening? Do you garden to improve your food security? Do you see it at all as a form of community/social activism?

Whatever your motivation, I would apprciate any responses. Please also let me know where you garden.

And keep up the good work-- gardening is wonderful for the community, the earth, and the soul!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
circle25

What an excellent question!!!! I could probably bore you for hours on the suject but to begin with as I'm in the uk can you use me as part of your study? If you can I'd be happy to help you out. Just email me at bwoodsoriginalsilk@googlemail.com
Im not the best with computers and i have no idea how i got to this site or if i will ever find it again so if its ok with you email is definatly my safest/easiest way to communicate. Look foward to hearing from you, regards Beth

Bookmark   April 7, 2008 at 7:38AM
jessicavanderhoff(7 Md)

This post is a year old, but just for kicks, I'm responding. I think for me it's mostly the desire for better quality ingredients to cook with. We joined a community share agriculture program last year, and I was BLOWN AWAY by the difference between that and grocery store produce. It was like being introduced to another world. It was also really expensive, though, so I'm trying to grow some of the same things myself. Also, it's fun to play in the dirt, gives me a sense of accomplishment, lets me grow wild and different things that I can't find at the market, and I really like talking to other gardeners. (Go terriers! BC sucks!)

Bookmark   March 28, 2009 at 5:41PM
huisjen(z5 ME)

For the fame and money. ;-)

Bookmark   May 21, 2009 at 10:13AM
featherhoof(zone 9)

Fame??!!! MOney is a big motivation for me, too. I can't buy produce like the stuff I can grow. -That and I like to play in the dirt.

Bookmark   May 23, 2009 at 8:26AM
victoriannoire(7b)

again really old post, but all the same, very interesting question. i really like to garden because of the gratification that you get from growing something both beautiful and useful...those are things that are hard to come by in these days..

Bookmark   July 22, 2009 at 8:43PM
natalie4b(7b GA)

As far as I am concerned, it is like asking: why do you breathe?
I can not imagine my life without it (nor would I choose to).

~Natalie

Bookmark   April 2, 2010 at 9:09PM
More Discussions
backyard eyesore
My neighbor's back yard is attached to mine. They are...
boothbay
Brand New Community Garden and Urban Farm
Hey there! We are in the middle of starting a community...
ghouliegrrrl
size of most plots in community gardens?
we are starting a community garden in baytown, tx....
bagins
Non-profit in need of seeds!
Hello, My name is Christine and I am posting on behalf...
Chrissi77
New Gardener Orientation
We are an established CG and get 20 new gardeners a...
juicebruiser
Sponsored Products
Wrought Iron Chair Outdoor Patio + Free washable cushion - DIAMOND
Living'ROC
Trendscape Path & Landscape Lights Red Snapdragon Bronze Solar LED Path Light
$15.97 | Home Depot
WallsNeedLove Brick Wall Self-Adhesive Wallpaper Multicolor - WP21-8FT
$66.00 | Hayneedle
Eggplant Soap Dispenser
$8.99 | zulily
Horseshoe Basin Granite Fountain with Spigot
Signature Hardware
Safavieh Indoor/Outdoor Area Rug: Safavieh Rugs Courtyard Beige/Blue 4 ft. x 5
$62.38 | Home Depot
Manhattan Garden Black Modern Table Lamp
Lamps Plus
Elk Lighting 2434/12 12 Light Chandelier in Antique Bronze & Dark Umber & Marbli
Beyond Stores
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™