advice wanted on best place to plant clematis

lesliekApril 15, 2007

Hi everyone. Newbie here: I moved over the winter from Midtown Manhattan to a Brooklyn apartment with a back yard and some paved patio space out front (woo hoo!). I'm trying to figure where I can plant a clematis and have it thrive.

The front area is east-facing and gets good strong sunlight in the morning now ... but there are some street trees which will partly block the sun when they leaf out. There's a nice space between our two front windows (we're the ground level aparment) -- one option would be to plant a clematis in a large container with a trellis behind, growing up against the wall of our building. The front area is actually several steps below street level, which might help for keeping the roots cooler, right? We will, however, almost certainly have an air conditioner in one of the windows, which means hot air spewing out not super far from where I'm thinking of planting.

The other option is a south-facing bed in the backyard. Because this is Brooklyn and there are buildings around, it doesn't get full sun in the early morning or late afternoon, but it does get full sun for several hours in the middle of the day. I would, I guess, put a trellis up against the (rotting) fence that surrounds the back yard.

Any advice on which of these locations would be my best bet for clematis? Or might they both work? Or neither? Would jackmanii be a good choice, or is there something else you might recommend?

Thanks in advance!

Leslie

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
buyorsell888(Zone 8 Portland OR)

I think you could plant Clems in both locations.

For the one in the container with a trellis, choose a smaller variety.

Bookmark   April 15, 2007 at 2:02PM
More Discussions
New bed ideas....would like clematis included.
Hello. I am putting in a new bed this Spring. I am...
suz9601
Question on a vendor
Hi, Has anyone ever purchased clematis from a vendor...
bellarosa
Moving Clematis
I have a very large, healthy 10-yr-old Nelly Moser...
rainydaywoman_z8
Moms Clematis
Hey everyone! I normally post on the allium forum and...
landscraper82
Montana grandiflora frost protection?
Greetings ... I recently moved from relatively frost...
rovenorth
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™