Park Seed, June 22

thatcompostguyJune 5, 2013

Does anybody here ever go to Park Seed on June 22 for their open house and sale? Trial garden tours, discounted plant sales, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ncrescue

I went many years ago and had a wonderful time...lots of speakers then, plus lovely displays and bargains on plants, especially some of the ones they used in trials that were good, but not the one chosen to grow out for sales.

If I lived as close as you do, I would certainly attend. It was free when I went...took my non-gardening sisters, who enjoyed the displays.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 10:22AM
nandina(8b)

I have gone for many years. Park seed is not the vibrant business leading the pack that it used to be. Somehow it has become tangled with Jackson & Perkins and Wayside Gardens. So, you will find their selections for sale at the nursery also. Who owns whom is confusing to me at the moment.

But...it is still a very reliable nursery. Go to the June 22nd sale and stop by other times when nearby during the growing season. You will find it interesting and often some unannounced sales.. Good bargains. Very much worth the trip. If you have a hard copy of the Park Seed and/or the Wayside nursery catalogs take them with you. You will find yourself consulting them often.

Bookmark   June 6, 2013 at 3:00PM
thatcompostguy

I've been going off and on for several years as well. Just wondered if others here went. I usually don't fight with the crowds to buy anything. I go to visit with friends and tour the trial grounds. And then go see the display gardens at people's houses. We didn't go at all last year because it was supposed to be near 100F that weekend. This year is looking much better so far.

Bookmark   June 7, 2013 at 2:22PM
countrygirl_sc

It was a lot of fun with the guest speakers! I got to meet Paul James of Gardening by the yard! It is not the same now, but I will be there Saturday with a couple of friends. I learned not to buy so much, because there is more to plant - still have Oriental lilies and other bulbs in pots from three years ago. But I will probably buy more if they are cheap, last year $1 then marked down to 50 cents. LOL!

Bookmark   June 19, 2013 at 1:05PM
More Discussions
butterfly habit Greensboro
Planning a butterfly habitat in Greensboro (church...
jimfnc
When to transplant crepe myrtle trees?
We are new to the site and have enjoyed reading the...
bigcatonhd
Michelia figo
Is anyone in NC successfully growing Banana Shrub,...
transplanted2scin07
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Indoor planting?
Hi, Did anyone start indoor vegetable seeds sowing?...
aaaaaaaa
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™