Need for non profit in community garden?

seekersueApril 21, 2008

Hi, We have started a community garden in our small rural area. We have had some donatins and the participants have also borne the start up costs. All is going well but we do not have a non-profit status and now think we may need one. How do we do this? Is there another way to manage funds for this group without the hassle of a non profit organization? This is a garden with 12 plots and about as many participants right now. Thanks for your help. Sue

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
ilikewinter

Have you tried contacting a non-profit community garden in another area? We have one here in Salt Lake City called Wasatch Gardens. If you look them up on the web, their contact info should be on their site. I am sure they would be glad to give you information on how to do this.

Also, have you checked with your local government (town council)? Sometimes they will match or even fund projects like these.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wasatch Gardens

Bookmark   April 24, 2008 at 10:01AM
vonstrudel_yahoo_com

I would like to know more about starting a non-profit community garden. Location would be in northern Ca. and I will be needing help. Housing will be available for experienced person. Thank you. Mrs. Brown

Bookmark   December 21, 2010 at 3:34PM
oregonwoodsmoke(5 OR Sunset 1A)

"Non-profit" is a tax classification, so you get the forms from the federal government and file with them.

I've seen the forms. They are a hassle. Many use a lawyer to file, but I think that if you follow the directions on the form, you could do it yourself.

The big advantage is that people can write off the deductions they make to you, so it gives you the possibility of large donations by a business or by someone who could use a deduction for that year.

It also might possibly make you eligible to participate in one of those community fund-raiser deals where the funds are divided among several local charities.

Also, you won't have to pay income tax on the donations that you collect.

Disclaimer: I am not a lawyer, nor am I an accountant. Get professional advice.

Bookmark   December 25, 2010 at 1:33PM
More Discussions
Community Garden magazine story
Hello, I am writing a story for Modern Farmer magazine...
JesseModFarmer
Sensory Gardens for People with Dementia
I work in a home for people with Dementia. We are currently...
Michael Jessup
No Community Garden? Sharing Backyards!
I wasn't sure where to post this information on the...
BluenoseDee
I need some help planning a community garden
Hi, I am not a gardener. I am a landlord who recently...
JeffOwens
Non-profit in need of seeds!
Hello, My name is Christine and I am posting on behalf...
Chrissi77
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™