Slate Alternative to Pumice?

bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MIJuly 10, 2014

Was out at a local nursery and they had a product called PermaTill,STALITE PermaTill rotary-kiln fired expanded slate particle.

(http://permatill.com/home-garden-products.php?cat=8).

Has anyone ever used fired slate in their mix? I have tried to find pumice in my area and it isn't never going to happen and this looks like a possible alternative for me.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hijole(9 Sunny California)

Well Doc, looks like your ready to lay a New Slate. :)

I would try it on a couple of plants and wait and see what happens, I've 4ever heard of it won't used but it would be worth a try. Let us know.

Greg

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 11:00AM

Well Doc, looks like your ready to lay a New Slate. :)

I would try it on a couple of plants and wait and see what happens, I've 4ever heard of it won't used but it would be worth a try. Let us know.

Greg

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 11:05AM

I've never heard of it being used.

Sorry about the double.

Greg

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 12:18PM
birdguide

Howard,

I haven't used stalite myself, but an outfit called Repotme.com sells it and uses it in their C&S mix. I have used some of their orchid mixes in the past and the quality of them has been outstanding in my opinion. The link below to their site has some good info on stalite.

Here is a link that might be useful: Repotme.com

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 8:58PM
birdguide

Not suggesting you buy stalite through the mail, but just wanted to show that it is being used by what I think is a company selling very high quality potting mixes. BTW....they also sell pumice for anyone interested in small quantities. It would not be cost effective to buy from them if you need it anything other than a small amount. And believe it or not, they even sell....bit my tongue.....gritty mix!

Here is a link that might be useful: Gritty Mix

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 9:07PM
birdguide

Personally, I use poultry grit instead of pumice. It's a bit dusty out of the bag, but easily rinsed. It's heavier than pumice or stalite and doesn't have their porosity or any absorption capabilities, but it dramatically improves drainage, doesn't cost much and is widely available.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 9:14PM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

I use 'Developer's Grit'. It's $6/50# bag. They make Turkey Grit but they were out of it so I got the next size down.

Bookmark   July 11, 2014 at 9:39PM
wantonamara Z8 CenTex

I have used an expanded shale and my C & S did fine. I paid about $12 for 40 lbs. It is not quite the same then but I thought if I had used perlite , and crushed granite and pumice, all very different, My plant could deal with this. It had more porosity and was lighter than the crushed granite, but was heavier and not As porous as the pumice. It was not going to turn into mush , so what the heh.

Bookmark   July 12, 2014 at 8:49AM
bikerdoc5968 Z6 SE MI

Thanks, Mara. It is a bit more costly locally but it is what it is and I will try it.

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 10:38AM
Stush2049(Pitts., Pa. 6)

Sounds like something I need. They have it at our local Ageways. I'll wait for a follow up.
Stush

Bookmark   July 13, 2014 at 4:06PM
More Discussions
hen and chicks not faring well indoors--- suggestions?
Hi, Even as a child, I usually had hen and chicks outdoors...
iaskedforwater
Jade tree pricing
Okay this may sound like a silly question but a Gollum...
Hamza Nobes
Could someone identify this plant?
I'm pretty sure this guy is in a succulent family....
RobynDarlene
Echeveria ID, please.
I need help identifying this echeveria. Thanks! :)
_sbgibbons_
March blooms (2015)
March is here...what succulents do you have blooming? Not...
rina_
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™