Question about growing flowers with pampas grass

lindsey_blackthumbJune 15, 2010

Hi there,

I have a "fence" of pampas grass in my backyard; it has been there since I moved in. Although it is messy, I don't mind it too much. I have, however, tried to plant small flowers (snapdragons, clematis, even a butterfly bush)) in front of it and nothing seems to make it. I would love to have a row of continuous color in front of the row of grass, but what is strong enough to grown alongside of pampas grass? I'm thinking of trying daylilies, some kind of daisy, or knock-out roses, but I would love some suggestions. Ideas?

Thanks in advance!

Lindsey

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Lindsey, how much room are you giving the flowers fronting the cascade of pampas grass leaves? Pampas grass leaves are sawtoothed and as they blow in the breeze will tear up/damage foliage plants leaving them open to bugs,disease or loss of water.
Pampas likes well drained soil on the medium to dry side. Tough competitor for moisture with flowering plants. I know the only thing I've been able to plant closely is yucca but the yucca spines made fall trim of the pampas a dangerous job. Good luck and if you find some plant material that will coexist with pampas please share that here with the rest of us.

Bookmark   June 15, 2010 at 11:33AM
More Discussions
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Fruit trees
Hi! We've decided we have room for nine more fruit...
HollowOakFarm
What's this cold doing to my Gardenias
I planted 2 Frost Proof Gardenia's last September....
Gigi z 7B, Upstate SC, USA
Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society
The Central Carolina Chrysanthemum Society will have...
hosta200
Rain barrels and soaker hoses
Here I am a aqain and gonna pester y'all one more time....
jimtnc
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™