No Community Garden? Sharing Backyards!

BluenoseDee(2a)April 17, 2014

I wasn't sure where to post this information on the forum, but thought this group would be the most appropriate place. :-)

For those would love to try gardening, but have no green space...

For those who have a yard but no time to develop it or plant a garden...

"Sharing Backyards" can connect you. Folks with some green space make it available to those who want to plant a garden, usually in exchange for a bit of the produce at the end of the season. I love this idea. Everybody wins!

http://www.sharingbackyards.com/

A facebook group for Sharing Gardens was recently started, too, and it looks like there is a project in the works to revamp/update the existing website.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/471725712938209/

I am not affiliated with the site, but hope other gardeners will share "Sharing Backyards" with their friends, on social media, at local farmers markets, etc.

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
docmom_gw Zone 5 MI(5)

That is a great idea! I'm in a situation where I am stuck living in an apartment building for at least a year, so I won't be able to garden at all. I'd love to "borrow" some dirt and sunshine from someone who has more than they know what to do with. Of course, you need to see if both parties have similar ideas re what a garden is for and what it should look like and what it should produce. Should it be organic or not, etc. But, those are obstacles easily overcome with thoughtful planning.

I may need to spend some time checking out my coworkers or the nearby neighborhoods for possibilities.

Martha

Bookmark   September 16, 2014 at 10:56PM
More Discussions
Community Garden magazine story
Hello, I am writing a story for Modern Farmer magazine...
JesseModFarmer
Community garden idea. Need some experienced insight.
So here's some background, before I get to my questions....
TrpnBils
I need some help planning a community garden
Hi, I am not a gardener. I am a landlord who recently...
JeffOwens
1st Time Volunteer
Hi folks. I noticed a neglected community garden last...
Andy2302
Thinking of Joining a Community Garden
Hello all, I am thinking about renting a plot from...
kcg1231
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™