the little clementine that could!

pinkgnome412(6)March 9, 2014

So I'm pretty proud of myself, even though I probably had nothing to do with this little miracle. I've been eating clementines like crazy this winter and came across ONE seed in one clementine about two months ago. It was a really plump little seed. I put it in a wet paper towel in a plastic bag and brought it home from work with me. In the few hours that it had sat in the paper towel, it was already splitting!! I got excited and planted it in a little cup with perlite and peat moss. I put a plastic baggie over the top and poked holes in it and placed it under my plant lamp. I've kept it moist and tried not to baby it too much, because that's what I tend to do with plants, LOL. Yesterday I took the bag off the top and this is what I have.

I just noticed today that the root is growing out the hole in the bottom!! This little guy really took off!

So this is my first time growing something from seed and I'm excited. What should I do now?? I haven't fertilized it or anything yet, just been keeping it moist. Should I try to pot up or repot it since the root is coming out? I'm afraid to mess with it!! Help!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)

Congratulations its cute will take 5yrs or more to fruit.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 6:43PM
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)

Repoting is always nevious for me but I would go to a bigger pot and repot in a good citrus soil. I have grew a few from seed seedlings dont always make it but this one looks really strong. If you do repot be very careful not to break its little roots if you dont break the roots and put it in a bigger pot it should do good. Good luck hope it helps would wait until it got bigger before i fertlized it. And when you do like a 1/4 dose until your sure its good with it.

Bookmark   March 9, 2014 at 9:35PM
pinkgnome412(6)

Thank you! I know it'll take a few years to get fruit but that's okay. I'm just excited it's been this successful this far. I've only been dabbling in all this for a few years now and I'm still learning, so I'm loving this! I'm still afraid to move it just yet, I don't want to screw this up!! And there's hardly any information regarding clementine trees specifically out there. I'm not sure what my next steps should be after repotting, just keep doing what I'm doing? I'm so nervous!!

Bookmark   March 12, 2014 at 9:19PM
More Discussions
Please diagnose my citrus
My indoor Meyer that I grew from a cutting is developing...
garret_87
Broken Satsuma and Kumquat trees
Hello all. Last May, I planted satsuma and kumquat...
lsugolfredman
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
Looking for a good LED grow light
Can anyone suggest a good LED grow light to be the...
theriguy
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™