Smith Red Valencia(Blood Orange)

simon_growMarch 9, 2011

Hello everyone, I was just wondering if anyone has tasted a Smith Red Valencia? I recently ordered one from Four Winds and was wondering about the sweetness, acidity and taste of this orange. How does it compare to Moro or Tarocco? Also, since its a Valencia, does this mean the juice will be ok in the refrigerator since it lacks Limonin (not sure if this is correct spelling). Also, just about every single Valencia I've tasted has been wonderfully sweet and tart, a perfect balance, can I expect this from the Smith Red Valencia? Thanks in advance.

Simon

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA

I have, Simon. The one I tasted (I've only had one, which is why I hesitated to say anything, since I don't have long term experience with them) had that sweet/acid balace more like a Valencia orange than the Moro's I've had (have a few in the house right now, in fact.) The Moro's were definitely more "winey" tasting, kind of old fashioned, and I do like the taste. The Smith Red I had wasn't as dark red (although they certainly can be), and tasted sweet with more acid bite, like a Valencia. I just ordered a Smith Red Valencia (or Blood, now that the name has actually changed) from Four Winds, too, just this week in fact. I have a Moro in the ground I planted about 4 or 5 months ago, and it hasn't flushed or flowered, yet, so I pinched it back to try to get it to flush out. That was my experience, and I hope we can get enough heat for the Moro to sweeten up in our area. I think the Smith Red will do just fine, since you and I are in "Valencia territory".

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 8:25PM
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
simon_grow

Thanks for the info Patty, that makes me feel better about my purchase. The Smith Red Valencia I ordered from FourWinds is pretty small but it is flowering already. I will probably pick up a Moro and also a regular Valencia since I love fresh squeezed orange juice.

Bookmark   March 10, 2011 at 11:12PM
More Discussions
Flies on my Grapefruit tree
I live in the Phoenix AZ area, was tending to my grapefruit...
robbversion1
Need help with my Meyer lemon!
Hi everyone, new to this forum and to gardening in...
wanderess
My first Meyer Lemon tree in the heat of Arizona
Hi Everyone, My last adventure with growing blueberries...
jacqdavis
sweet citrus trees in 2015 diary
this is my diary of my citrus trees from the last 2...
Steve, Micro (6B ground, 5B roof)
Growth flushes and blooming going on right now
'Lane Late' is leading the pack:
MrClint
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™