Pomelo or Oro Blanco

letsskiMarch 24, 2014

Hi,

Was given this tree by a neighbor who thought it was a Grapefruit tree. It has produced fruit the last two years. Pretty sweet, VERY thick rind, Flesh is yellowish like a grapefruit.

Can you help me identify whether it is a Pomelo or Oro Blanco? Tree is about 2 feet tall, very dark, green leaves, big flowers.

I am in the SF Bay Area. Thanks!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
johnmerr(11)

Actually I think the Oro Blanco, sometimes called Sweetie, is a hybrid of a grapefruit and a pomelo; so I would say you have both; and if you like it, even better.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 1:39PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

One of the distinguishing characteristics of the Oroblanco (and about the only way you can tell them apart from their genetic sibling, the Melogold), is a pronounced "dimple" or indentation on the blossom end of the fruit (see link below). To distinguish it from a pommelo, all pommelos are VERY seedy and have a very tough center core. And, they are really big, huge fruits. Plus, most pummelos are sweeter than the Oroblanco is, as it has grapefruit in its background. Pummelos are very sweet, no bitterness. The Oroblanco is sweeter than a grapefruit, but still a little more bitter than a pommelo. By the look and size of the fruit in your photo (can't quite see the bottom), it appears to be an Oroblanco.

Patty S.

Here is a link that might be useful: UC Riverside Citrus Variety Collection: Oroblanco

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 3:47PM
johnmerr(11)

I don't know about other pomelo varieties; but the Chandler is seedless... unless it is pollinated by pollen from another citrus variety.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 4:32PM
letsski

Patty - Thanks for the info. The fruit (see attached) definitely has a dimple. Some of the others on the tree are more pronounced.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 6:23PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

The Chandler is only seedless if there aren't other citrus nearby. For me, that means seeds in my Chandler, but they're still not as seedy as other pummelos. The Mato Buntan is just full of seeds. But, both have the classic thick, fibrous cores you find with pummelos. And you most definitely have an Oroblanco. For me here in S. Calif, they are at their best late February through May. For me, the later, the better, as they get sweeter the longer they hang on the tree. They are quite excellent.

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 24, 2014 at 10:32PM
More Discussions
Has Anyone Tried "Atomic Grow"? Does It Work As Claimed?
I was browsing through some YouTube videos on "citrus",...
gadgetvictim
Polyembryonic seeds
Hi to all I'm germinating some kumquat seeds and some...
swfx
Fertilising in Gritty mix
Hello everyone, OK, this may be a really basic question,...
bopwinter
SicK Multigrafted Citrus Tree
PLEASE HELP! My multigrafted half barrel container...
neicy37
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?
How MUCH citrus fertilizer do I feed my container citruses?...
vickicat
Sponsored Products
Blanco Kitchen Spex Plus Undermount Stainless Steel 32 in. x 20 in. x 8.5 in.
Home Depot
Artemide | Tolomeo Mini Table Lamp
$325.00 | YLighting
Artemide | Tolomeo Micro Floor Lamp
YLiving.com
Artemide | Tolomeo Mega Floor Lamp
YLighting
Artemide | Tolomeo Mega Wall Light
YLiving.com
SomerTile Hextile Glossy Blanco Porcelain Floor and Wall Tile (Pack of 14)
Overstock.com
Tolomeo Mega With Table Clamp by Artemide
$700.00 | Lumens
Stella D'Oro Daylily Root - Set of Six
$8.99 | zulily
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™