brugs versus datura

marricgardensOctober 30, 2013

I planted 2 daturas this year and they did beautifully. I planted the seed in late Feb/early March and they flowered 5 months later. I have been reading on another post that Brugmansias take 9 months to a year to flower. Am I correct in thinking brugs take longer to flower than Daturas? Why? Marg

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida 9a)

Brugs are perennials whereas Datura are considered annuals. Annuals bloom set their seed and die once frost hits them. Brugs usually take a year or two to flower from seed just depending on what zone you live in and how much sunlight, warmth, and fertilizer they are getting.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 11:31AM
marricgardens

Thanks! I didn't realize Brugs were perennial.

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 12:03PM
monet_g

Marg,
They're treated as perennials in the south, but can't take freezing temps. So, in the north, they're treated as annuals or brought in for over-wintering.
Gail

Bookmark   October 31, 2013 at 12:17PM
msbatt

Actually, some brugs are root-hardy in Zone 7. I have several that I cut back to ground level and mulch in, and they pop back up each spring. The hard, woody trunks can withstand a few hours as low as 27 degrees, but all the tender green parts are goners with the first frost.

Bookmark   November 9, 2013 at 6:43PM
diane_v_44(Z6)

I find that to be so with Brugmansia as well
They can take a fare bit of cold. and yet come back from the ground.
Actually I have some Datura here in Canada, well it is one particular Datura, that was given to me by a Japanese fellow that comes back, not always, but often from the original plant left out in the cold of winter here.
I now have several plants of this original one and keep seeds So always have some Seeds even come up that where left out in the yard overwinter. Is a long white but with a bluish tint to the flower Not fragrant at
all. I sort of treasure the plant as the man who gave it to me maybe ten years ago, is now diseased

Bookmark   November 13, 2013 at 9:03AM
More Discussions
Sphagnum Moss Rooting Method - Step by Step!
I've had a couple of requests as to how I root my cuttings!...
sibhskylvr
Finally able to retrieve my brugmansia....now what?!?
Hello everyone. I am hoping one of you experts will...
rnb68
Why don't my plants set seeds??
I have had my brugs for over 30 years and to my knowledge...
Monzi zone 8a South Carolina
Brugmansia Eternity
I think everyone should have no problems flowering...
boonboon
Gotta love the Brugs.
About 5 years ago I was givin' the chance to get 4...
Hal Warrick
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™