Lantana camara-- annual /perennial and invasiveness

Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7bJune 20, 2012

After my mistake with ditch lilies, I want to be more careful! Is Lantana camara (butterfly weed) perennial or annual in Piedmont Triad of Greensboro? How invasive is it here? I see them planted at office buildings, so I assume not too invasive...I hope!

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
trianglejohn

I don't consider them invasive here in Raleigh but I think they can be in zone 8 or further south (zone 8 would include our southern coastline).

Most of the hardy forms are Lantana camara, but not all Lantana camara are hardy. Not every form of lantana has been completely hardy this far north (new ones show up every year). Of the ones that have been reliably hardy, most of them are of the genus Lantana and the species camara. Some of the low growing ground cover types have been hardy in my yard but they are a different species.

'Miss Huff' has been the standard of winter hardy lantanas. My only complaints about it is that it gets mighty big and can take a long time to green up in the spring (more like early summer).

Every once in a while we will have a super cold winter that will kill off a bunch of "hardy" perennials. On those years you'll probably have to replace your lantanas.

Bookmark   June 21, 2012 at 9:49AM
dottie_in_charlotte(z7-8 NC)

Nice thing about Miss Huff is she can be planted between evergreen shrubs or among daylily plantings and provide a bit of unexpected color in a sea of green or after the daylilies quit blooming..

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 9:48AM
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b

Thank you both! It seems that Miss Huff is the one I see. That helps a lot.

Bookmark   June 23, 2012 at 7:12PM
lkzz(7b)

I love Lantanas - I live in SC. They bloom all summer and are beyond easy to care for. Put a generous amount of wood mulch around them to retain moisture and you can pretty much let them do their thing all season. Lots of butterflies and bees. I suggest cutting them back to the ground in the fall and covering with black plastic (stake the plastic so it does not blow off). This will protect against any below freezing temps during the winter months.

I've uploaded a pic of some of mine. 3 plants - a couple of yellow and and orange variety.

Bookmark   July 25, 2012 at 5:11PM
Carolinaflowerlover NC Zone 7b

Wow...thanks for sharing! Is that the Miss Huff kind? My little annual one from Lowes isn't doing anything. I think I would like some like yours in my future shrub area. They are beautiful!

Bookmark   July 30, 2012 at 11:01AM
More Discussions
Looking for orange lily
About 7 years ago I bought an orange lily from a horticulturist...
bonnie_il
What's this cold doing to my Gardenias
I planted 2 Frost Proof Gardenia's last September....
Gigi z 7B, SC, USA
anyone grow Pseudosasa japonica?
Does anyone on this forum have Pseudosasa japonica?...
cousinfloyd
Is it difficult to grow dahlias in NC? Which are easier?
There are lists of most likely to succeed? But what...
thisbetty
WANTED: Raleigh Area seed swap?
Raleigh Area seed swap?
brenda_near_eno
Sponsored Products
Lantana Large Outdoor Wall Mount
$319.00 | Bellacor
Kichler Lantana Modern Contempo Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
Kichler Lantana Modern Contempo Outdoor Wall Light
1800Lighting
Lantana Architectural Bronze Outdoor Wall Mount