Where to find a 'sweet' lemon?

newgen(9 Central California)March 29, 2011

A few years ago, I was given a lemon, it tasted pretty sweet. No trace of the typical acidic lemon/lime taste at all. I was told it came from a particular "sweet" variety. Too bad I didn't ask for any more information.

Thanks,

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
simon_grow

I'm definitely no expert but many people consider Meyer lemons as less acidic and a little sweeter than regular Eureka lemons but you say there is not trace of the acidic lemon/lime? I recently saw some Sweet limes at Home depot which were yellow and looked almost exactly like a meyer lemon. Maybe you actually tasted a sweet lime? I remember seeing on Four Winds a Mexican Sweet lime that is supposed to be sweet and nearly acidless.
Simon

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 3:19PM
newgen(9 Central California)

Yeah, I saw that sweet lime at Home Depot yesterday, was tempted to pick it up. For sure, it's not Meyer lemon, I've tasted the Meyer. I think the Four Winds sweet lime is the same one for sale at HD.

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 3:57PM
copingwithclay

Have you ever eaten a Sunquat? If so, was your ??? lemon sweeter than the Sunquat?

Bookmark   March 29, 2011 at 10:58PM
newgen(9 Central California)

Have never tried a Sunquat. I'll keep an eye out for one.

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 12:49AM
ashleysf(9 San Jose,CA)

I am familiar with "Sweet Limes". I have eaten "Mexican Sweet Lime" and the "Palestinian sweet lime". I grow palestine sweet lime because of its medicinal uses. Many people consider that the sweet limes do not compare against a good mandarin because it lacks acidity and you can even see some people piling abuse on these fruits on the web!
As for sweet lemon, I have heard about the "SANBOKAN LEMON" commonly being referred to as the "sweet lemon". This variety is not available in california and hence I know very little about it. You may want to google it to learn more about it.

Bookmark   March 30, 2011 at 1:00AM
PersianMD2Orchard

I love sweet limes, are there any difference in taste between Mexican and Palestine? I like them sweet, juicy, and fragrant. Trying to pick one to grow indoors. Recs?

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 8:16AM
johnmerr(11)

I would agree that what you likely tasted was a Sanbokan; I recently learned they are selling them in Florida as "Sambo" lemons; they have a bad habit of renaming citrus in Florida, e.g. the Cara Cara is called Red Navel.

Bookmark   April 13, 2012 at 6:05PM
More Discussions
Looking for a good LED grow light
Can anyone suggest a good LED grow light to be the...
theriguy
Bugs 16
Bugs 15 is getting to big so starting this one. Trace...
tcamp30144(7B N.ATLANTA)
New leaves - possible too much watering?
Hi! New member here. I haven't had a chance to go back...
springddd
Can Budwood be too small, or thin?
When grafting should I try to obtain close to pencil...
figbear (8b coastal carolina)
Meyer Lemon tree question
I have a 3-4yr old meyer lemon tree i've kept in a...
clo4l8ty
People viewed this after searching for:
© 2015 Houzz Inc. Houzz® The new way to design your home™