Strange Growths on Meyer

Jack_TripperMarch 18, 2014

My Meyer is slow growing, I bought it as a year-old sapling 9 months ago and it gets 3-4 hours of sunlight.

A few weeks ago, a windstorm blew off many of the leaves. Recently, I noticed these purple small growths at the end of the branches. Also, near the trunk base there is a strange, green shoot that I don't know is new plant growth, or a weed.

What are these purple growths and green shoot? Here is what the plant and growths look like:

This post was edited by Jack_Tripper on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 15:29

Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
Jack_Tripper

Small purple growths.

This post was edited by Jack_Tripper on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 15:30

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 12:45PM
Jack_Tripper

Green shoot at the trunk base. It appears difficult to remove without disturbing the Meyer's adjacent yellow roots. Should I try to remove it anyway or is it part of the Meyer?

This post was edited by Jack_Tripper on Tue, Mar 18, 14 at 15:31

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 12:47PM
johnmerr(11)

Well, the purple "growths" are flower buds; they should be followed by new leaves. As for the green shoot, cut it off or pull it out; at best it is a weed, and at worst a sprout from your rootstock. In any case, it should be removed.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 12:56PM
Jack_Tripper

Thanks John. I'll try pulling it out without damaging the roots.

Is it just me or do my pictures look upside down?

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 1:08PM
johnmerr(11)

Your pictures are all upside down.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 2:41PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

It appears that your little tree is growing on its own roots. I don't see any graft line. Where did you buy your tree? Many Meyer lemons are started as seedlings, as they seem to do well on their own roots here in California and other citrus belt areas. So, that would mean the shoot coming up is simply another branch, as Meyer lemons' growth habit is that of a bush. Perfectly normal. And, the reason your photos are upside down is probably due to using an iPhone upside down. Shoot your photos in landscape position, with your volume buttons facing down. Or, bring your photos into a photo editing software, and adjust the orientation. iPhones "remember" their orientation with regard to the orientation of the phone when taking the photo.

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 3:04PM
Jack_Tripper

Patty, the graft line is higher up on the trunk before the first branch on the first picture. I bought it at Home Depot as a dwarf Meyer.

If it is from the rootstalk, should I just pull it out?

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 3:19PM
hoosierquilt USDA 10A Sunset 23 Vista CA(10b Sunset 23)

If you're sure you've got a grafted tree (sounds likely), I would insert your pruners down into the ground, and prune away the rootstock sucker. If a tree is stressed, as yours is, the rootstock can tend to take over, which may be what you're seeing. Be sure you've fertilized, and that the bed has good drainage. Make sure the soil in that bed has a way to drain, or this will cause the roots to suffocate, which could be why the tree is struggling. Winds should not have stripped off your leaves, unless they were really ridiculously strong. And, this location appears to be pretty protected, so I'm doubting the wind theory. Tree looks stressed to me. When a tree is stressed, it will try to bloom and produce fruit before it succumbs. Now, this is bloom season for citrus, so it may just be this, but I would investigate the drainage issue, and if it isn't good, I'd look for a sunnier and better draining area to plant your little tree.

Patty S.

Bookmark   March 18, 2014 at 4:32PM
More Discussions
citrus trees from whole foods ID please
A couple years ago, I received a couple citrus trees...
beesneeds
New growth still light greenish
I recently acquired 2 page oranges and one has had...
sgreer13
Cuban Shaddock, a dwarfing rootstock? I doubt it
It is difficult to find information about this rootstock...
axier - Z10, Basque Country (Spain)
Polyembryonic seeds
Hi to all I'm germinating some kumquat seeds and some...
swfx
Is my tree a goner???
I came home from work to find our miniature sour orange...
christimfarley
Sponsored Products
Merdolino Toilet Brush by Alessi
$58.00 | Lumens
Stranger in a Strange Land Print
$18.99 | Dot & Bo
SENCHA Tea Maker by Blomus
$96.29 | Lumens
Piano 5pc Place Setting - Iittala
$96.00 | HORNE
Plumen 001 Light Bulb by Hulger
$30.00 | Lumens